What's the difference?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that they were the same skill. Kind of like the mill circle/stride circle... same skill just different names.

In a long hang pull over you just jump to the high bar and pull over. In a baby giant you should be casting as close to a handstand as possible and doing the giant technique such as hollowing down, tapping, etc but putting your hips back to the bar near the top. They look similar and end the same way, but a baby giant should look like a giant until the end and should start in a handstand, where in a long hang pull over you just jump to the high bar and pull over. Hopefully that clarifies alittle bit? They are similar skills though:)

Pretty much what gymnast695 said, I had my coach explain it to me tonight at practice se saidthat in a baby giant you should be doing agiant and get to handstand then pull your hips to the bar once you get to handstand, she said that most gyms teach these before giants and my coach said shewould and will always teach them the other way around because so many kids end up doing a long hand pullover as a baby giant and then when they try to learn giants it makes it harder!

let me clarify: a long hang pull over is just a pullover. makes no difference what cast or swing it comes from. essentially, the hips come to the bar and 'touch' down on the top of the bar while the shoulders are still 'under' the bar and the hands/grip are still on the top side of the bar where they first were when the long hang swing began.

in a baby giant, and a certain cast must take place to generate enough swing to perform the skill, the body (center of gravity) rises far above the bar. when the body rises above the bar the gymnast shifts their grips around the bar to support phase ahead of the descent of the body. the gymnast 'catches' the swing at the top before it can descend. they then are able to lower their hips to the bar/support position and gently lower their hips to support. this phase is called a 'power down'.

baby giants are precursors to giants. long hang pullovers come before that.:)

this is a long hang pull over
YouTube - Jump to High Bar Connected to Long Hang Pull Over
and this is a baby giant
YouTube - 6 year old doing baby giant on bars
some people call them the same thing but i have always known a long hang pull over as the one in the first video. so depending on the person it could be either one.

actually OU, the first video is closer to a baby giant. yet it is still a pull over as the hips (center of gravity) never rose significantly above the bar. in the second video, that is clearly a pull over.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back