WAG What's the team practice schedule in the summer?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

NMNorskie

Proud Parent
My daughter started recreational classes last summer, and she's doing really well. We've been told it's likely she'll make the team when they do evaluations later this spring. She's super excited.

Our gym has the practice schedules posted for teams, but the effective date is right when school started (i.e. it's the school-year schedule). Are practice schedules normally different during the summer?

I normally book the the kids for various weeklong camps at the museum, swim classes, etc., and those sign-ups happen in February (before we'll find out for sure if she'll be on a team). Should I hold off? Or would they be practicing in the after school/evening hours even during the summer?

Summer schedule is usually different for us. We use the mornings since the kids are out of school.

Our gym was mid-day for the pre team and lower level team girls. Morning for the higher levels. Highly inconvenient for working parents, but we found a way to make it work. Hopefully we will be able to this year too!!

Our gym was mid-day for the pre team and lower level team girls. Morning for the higher levels. Highly inconvenient for working parents, but we found a way to make it work. Hopefully we will be able to this year too!!
I'm very thankful my husband is a teacher!

I would ask someone at the gym honestly.. I am sure it's different everywhere. At my dd's gym, there is no different summer schedule. We have year round school (not all the schools, but probably 50% of the elementary and middle schools) so they really can't have a different summer schedule. But anyway, I would just ask her current coach what the typical schedule is in the summer.

My WAG dd changes to mornings M/T/W/F/Sa, my TnT ds stays in the evening, so I would ask. We are also blessed with coaches and a program that is ok with kids doing other things too, so they don't mind vacation or camp weeks being missed in summer; they kind of expect it.

It probably makes a difference what level your daughter will be on the team. Some gyms start team with L1 and I assume those hours are much different than the gyms that start team at L4.

Yes, definitely try to find out the approximate schedule. Last year's schedule would be a good indicator.
When DD first switched to our current gym at level 2/3, she was already registered for camp 9am to 3 pm. Then we found out that her summer schedule was 3 days a week 1:30 to 4:30. So on those 3 days I had to pick her up from camp at 1.
This past summer her level 4 schedule was 4 days a week, 9 to 1. Definitely wouldn't be able to squeeze any summer camp in this schedule.

DD's gym does morning practices for JO. Pre-team and Xcel keep the same evening schedule.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back