Parents who to evaluate my daughter

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Neveranathlete

Proud Parent
So we are checking out new gyms this summer. Currently my daughter is 4 but her current gym has her working with girls who are 5-7 years old because DD has mastered the skills and because there is no pre team or anything to put her into. When I call gyms, they offer to have her try a class with their 4 year olds and to have her assessed by the teacher for the 4 year olds. Is that ok? Should I explain that she is doing more and ask for a different coach to evaluate her? I feel like it probably doesn't matter and it's maybe a good thing to have her assessed by someone who knows 4 year olds. But I'm not sure because I don't know how this sport works so I thought I would ask here. Let me know what you think!

Their plan sounds normal. They will work out real fast if she is more advanced than others in her group or if it is the wrong group for her. Some gyms get kids doing skills really early while others focus on strength and body shaping, so kids get skills later. The latter often has better outcomes long term.

Yup, agreed.
Not saying that it's the case with YOU, (I don't know you!), but often parents who are adamant in pointing out their kid is in a higher group or much more advanced than their peers can come across as CGM (or crazy dance moms!). It is really apparent to a trained coach if a child needs something more than the regular class. :) At our gym, we have rec levels (starting at 4yo) and then developmental team starting at 5, so there are options for the kids we see need more of a challenge or are more advanced than some. :)

What I meant to say above is that you don't need to point it out when she gets evaluated. By doing so, you have a chance at coming across negatively right from the bat and you don't want to start a gym relationship being "that parent" ;) I've had similar situations and I can honestly say that it does color the perception the gym has of that parent right from the start. Better to let it be, let them evaluate her and place her, and within a few classes (unless they notice it immediately) they may place her in a different group. Or, their appropriate 4yo group may have more focused and skilled girls than in her current group and she might fit right in! :)

If your gym uses the 5-7 grouping as a type of pre-team or a substitute for pre-team and your current gym has specifically stated that they want her on team, I would just say "she's 4 and she's on pre-team." That statement lets them know everything you're trying to say. Then, let the new gym decide how to evaluate her.

I agree with GlobalNomad. I wouldn't tell them who should evaluate her, but say she's advancing quickly and you're looking for a pre-team program for her.

Yeah, just go and let them evaluate her. They will know what to do/where to level her if they are experienced. At 4, she needs to be with coaches that know and understand what is developmentally appropriate for that age -- regardless of what skills she has. 4 is a lot different than 6 or 7.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back