Parents Would like to get opinions on whether i should say something to the coach

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

RileyG

Proud Parent
Hello everyone, i am new here! I have been reading for awhile but now am in need of some opinions.
My dd was a level 4 last year, she is competing in Xcel Gold level this year.
There are 6 girls competing in the gold lev this year.
there is a meet next month where we were told the gold levels were on a wait list. No room. So now i heard from her coach that they can take 4. So they choose to sign up 4 of the golds. Leaving out 2. ( my dd and one other girl)...They said because those 4 girls are choosing not to go to the travel meet in the spring that is why they are picked to go to this next meet.
now i heard that the other girl was told she is next on the wait list for this next meet. So if she gets to go my dd will be the only gymnast out of our entire team ( jo levels and xcel) that doesnt go.

It bothers me in the first place that all the golds cant go and i feelmthey should have found them a different meet that they all could go to, or just dont participate.

Or have the 2 that are going to the travel meet not go. But to have all but one will just rub me the wrong way.

I said something to the prep coach but she said. It wasnt up to her it was the head team coaches decision. So should i say something?
it may not change anything but it would make me feel better :)

The other thing i may want to address with her is the prep golds have no options for makeup times. They cancelled our practice for the christmas party but did not offer a time for makeup. The jo levels come on one of our practice nights whe they need a makeup but it doesnt seem to go both ways

Welcome to the Chalkbucket!! I agree, it doesn't seem right. They should not participate in a meet if there isn't room for all the girls to go...I've never heard of picking and choosing gymnasts because there aren't enough slots for all the girls.

As far as make-up practices due to holidays, that does stink, and seems unfair. How is XCel treated in your gym? I only ask because at many gyms, like ours, it is a less rigorous, more relaxed program, and the girls don't have/"need" as much practice time. I'm not saying it's fair, but that may be how they are looking at it.

My opinion is that they should have picked another meet where everyone could go like you said, and the all but one girl not going is even worse. I'd consider saying something about it, but it may be too late for them to do anyrhing about it if they already registered the 4 girls and it's past the refund date :(... The no makeup time for holidays, however, seems pretty standard to me...I've even seen it work the opposite where the xcel/apo type teams will have a makeup but the USAG teams don't cause it's just much harder to fit in a makeup option for a 4 hour class than it is a 2 hour one (coach availability, gym space)...I always look at time missed for holidays in the perspective that everyone needs some time off - even our gymnasts.

In our state we sometimes have trouble getting into meets, even when registration and fees are turned in way ahead of the deadline. So that, in itself can be "normal". We had it happen with our first meet this year, and our GO, turned right around and got us into a meet the very next weekend. WHOA, the uproar at the gym was unbelievable, especially with the inexperienced parents. I am not sure if the GO would do it again. I was extremely happy with the sudden change in plans, because it was handled very proactively. All the gymnasts who wanted to go, could.

I would not have been happy with how your gym handled it. If they couldn't get all the gymnasts in, then they should have looked for an alternative. I think things were handled very unfairly. I think I would let them know that you weren't happy with the arrangements. Be very matter of fact, and unemotional when talking to them. It is unfair to allow some gymnast to get competitive practice, while not allowing others. The girls are a team and need to be treated as such.

That is how i feel, when they found out there was no room for the Golds they should have sought an alternative.
the whole thing just rubs me wrong.
i know the coach will get defensive with me but i feel like i have to say something.

To answer about the training, our xcel Gold girls train the same number of days / hours as our JO lev 4 5 & 6.
they have one meet per month and the levels have average 2 meets per month til states.

I agree that ideally it should be the whole team or nothing, and that they certainly shouldn't bring just a few girls from a level... If it came down to that, find another meet that the xcell girls can go to. I would be very annoyed. I also agree that if the JO girls are allowed to attend Xcell classes to make up their time, then your DD should be able to attend JO classes to make up her time. Otherwise it just enforces the idea that the JO's time (and their parents' money) is more valuable than the Xcell's time (and your money). In our gym, it is not unusual to see an Xcell girl practicing with a level that is close to hers because of a scheduling conflict of some sort.

I agree that ideally it should be the whole team or nothing, and that they certainly shouldn't bring just a few girls from a level... If it came down to that, find another meet that the xcell girls can go to. I would be very annoyed. I also agree that if the JO girls are allowed to attend Xcell classes to make up their time, then your DD should be able to attend JO classes to make up her time. Otherwise it just enforces the idea that the JO's time (and their parents' money) is more valuable than the Xcell's time (and your money). In our gym, it is not unusual to see an Xcell girl practicing with a level that is close to hers because of a scheduling conflict of some sort.

Yes, we see this at our gym too. Actually, the gym does few "formal" make ups for missed practices due to holidays, snow days, etc. While they don't let everyone know that the Level 6s, for example, can come in on this day to make up the missed practice from New Year's Day or something, they are fine if the girls show up on their non-practice day to practice with girls either a level below or a level above them - it happens all the time.

Interesting that your XCels practice the same number of hours as JO. I know at one time (not sure if it's still this way), USAG dictated how many hours they wanted Prep-Op/XCels to practice, and those hours were a bit lower than typical JOs.

frist on the make up times we are in JO program and if a day is cancelled for what ever reason there are no make ups there never has been since my DD was on preteam. Usually the gym knows the dates of these events well in advance and figure that into their practice schedules (at least the gyms I know do ) the tuition we pay monthly is an annual fee divided by 12 payments so you pay for your slot on the team not X number of practices each week. I honestly wouldn't have expected a make up day. With that said they are always adding a few extra practices here and there as the meet season progresses for extra practice.

As far as the meet goes I agree I would rather all go or no one go but I also know that Prep Op meets fill fast and there aren't as many meet opportunities available to be able to always just say lets pick another meet. It's not common for this to happen but it happens and I have seen some instances of some of a team going based on if the girls are ready, or they need to qualify or what ever. I would just let the Head Coach know your concerns and that you are wondering why he/she didn't opt to look for a meet all could attend.

If the hours are the same as the JO progrm just wondering why you switched from doing JO program and going to L5 as opposed to going to the PrepOp program to begin with?

frist on the make up times we are in JO program and if a day is cancelled for what ever reason there are no make ups there never has been since my DD was on preteam. Usually the gym knows the dates of these events well in advance and figure that into their practice schedules (at least the gyms I know do ) the tuition we pay monthly is an annual fee divided by 12 payments so you pay for your slot on the team not X number of practices each week. I honestly wouldn't have expected a make up day. With that said they are always adding a few extra practices here and there as the meet season progresses for extra practice.

As far as the meet goes I agree I would rather all go or no one go but I also know that Prep Op meets fill fast and there aren't as many meet opportunities available to be able to always just say lets pick another meet. It's not common for this to happen but it happens and I have seen some instances of some of a team going based on if the girls are ready, or they need to qualify or what ever. I would just let the Head Coach know your concerns and that you are wondering why he/she didn't opt to look for a meet all could attend.

If the hours are the same as the JO progrm just wondering why you switched from doing JO program and going to L5 as opposed to going to the PrepOp program to begin with?

Hi
at our gym we pay by the month. The gold girls are down 5 practices with the holiday and the party. They also cancelled one of the practices so the lower levels could do a xmas party but they did reschedule that one.
as for why she went to Xcel
last June when they were deciding who would move up they said they thought she would do better inXcel because she was having difficulty with the kip to high bar. She is fine kipping to low but the bar change wasnt consistent. So they said they were making the decisions then not giving the girls the summer to gain skills.

Soooo she was upset but did not want to seek out a different gym. I did. So i convinced her to go to another gym one evening and tey out. So she went and worked out with their level 4 and 5 team, after the coach talked to me and said he would have her competeing level 5 that all her skills were good and for the kip she had time to master it before meet season.

My dd did not want to switch teams. She was very insistant. Also several of her team mates were going onto xcel gold. 2 other level 4's not moving and a few lecel 5's not moving up.
so i didnt want to force her to the other gym even though i know she would have done well and. Ade new gym friends.

I told her at that point we would give it the month of july and see how she felt. Well she ended up loving it. She likes the ability to add skills she is great at. Her floor routine is pretty much the level 6 routine.
sorry so long, but thats the story LOL
She is happy, so i am happy. (aside for my little complaints!)

Welcome!!

I think I would try to talk to the HC about it. Just remember, it doesn't have to be an angry conversation. You can address it very diplomatically. Our HC is very good about this stuff, and he makes the parents feel very comfortable coming to him with issues. I have learned on here that this is not that common. Just feel the HC out and then have a talk.

Interesting that your XCels practice the same number of hours as JO. I know at one time (not sure if it's still this way), USAG dictated how many hours they wanted Prep-Op/XCels to practice, and those hours were a bit lower than typical JOs.
Our Gold xcels practice the maximum suggested hrs, but our levels practice fewer than other jo levels at other gyms.

USAG doesn't really DICTATE how many hours they WANT Xcels to practice, but they do SUGGEST that it doesn't have to be as many hours as JO levels (This was because the Xcel program was designed as a way to keep girls in gymnastics even if they weren't progressing or had other activities going on in their lives). The thing is that if you are doing hard skills, you really do need to practice them... of course all girls on our team practice 7.5-10 hours (depending on if they come 3 days or 4).

Hello everyone, i am new here! I have been reading for awhile but now am in need of some opinions.
My dd was a level 4 last year, she is competing in Xcel Gold level this year.
There are 6 girls competing in the gold lev this year.
there is a meet next month where we were told the gold levels were on a wait list. No room. So now i heard from her coach that they can take 4. So they choose to sign up 4 of the golds. Leaving out 2. ( my dd and one other girl)...They said because those 4 girls are choosing not to go to the travel meet in the spring that is why they are picked to go to this next meet.
now i heard that the other girl was told she is next on the wait list for this next meet. So if she gets to go my dd will be the only gymnast out of our entire team ( jo levels and xcel) that doesnt go.

It bothers me in the first place that all the golds cant go and i feelmthey should have found them a different meet that they all could go to, or just dont participate.

Or have the 2 that are going to the travel meet not go. But to have all but one will just rub me the wrong way.

I said something to the prep coach but she said. It wasnt up to her it was the head team coaches decision. So should i say something?
it may not change anything but it would make me feel better :)

The other thing i may want to address with her is the prep golds have no options for makeup times. They cancelled our practice for the christmas party but did not offer a time for makeup. The jo levels come on one of our practice nights whe they need a makeup but it doesnt seem to go both ways

guys and gals...this is how it is. some of these things are out of our control. if there is no room and no other meet you do what you gotta do. it's an imperfect system. that's all.:)

guys and gals...this is how it is. some of these things are out of our control. if there is no room and no other meet you do what you gotta do. it's an imperfect system. that's all.:)
Yes it is an imperfect system.
still dont think its right and i think they could have tried to find the girls a different meet that they all could attend. If they had tried way back when they found out about being waitlisted they may have found something.

i regret that you don't understand how things work ^^^. in many geographically saturated gymnastics areas, competitions are filled and paid for 6 months in advance. in most cases, the gyms have paid deposits 6 months to 1 year in advance and only those parents that have been at this forever (and are probably involved with their respective booster clubs) would know this.

i currently have 580 gymnasts on the wait list for our competition. it has been filled/closed for 5 months. that's before school started in September if your counting backwards. our meet is in February. so, if your coaches had contacted us last August the answer would have been yes. September 5th? the answer is no and they go on the wait list. this is how it is as i said.:)

there are only so many meets. with so many judges to go around. and they are stacked on each other every week end. and now there is Excel. we were already having problems and now we have more.

i regret that you don't understand how things work ^^^. in many geographically saturated gymnastics areas, competitions are filled and paid for 6 months in advance. in most cases, the gyms have paid deposits 6 months to 1 year in advance and only those parents that have been at this forever (and are probably involved with their respective booster clubs) would know this.

i currently have 580 gymnasts on the wait list for our competition. it has been filled/closed for 5 months. that's before school started in September if your counting backwards. our meet is in February. so, if your coaches had contacted us last August the answer would have been yes. September 5th? the answer is no and they go on the wait list. this is how it is as i said.:)

there are only so many meets. with so many judges to go around. and they are stacked on each other every week end. and now there is Excel. we were already having problems and now we have more.
You dont have to regret anything :) i DO understand how it works. I have been around the gym long enough to get it.
you are misunderstanding me. Back in the summer when they put in for all our meets, back then when they found out there was no room for the golds they should have sought out something else for them. but they did not. They just said ok we are on a wait list. They were able to get our platinums into a meet last minute. Different level i know.
But my point is IF they had tried in the summer they may have found something. Maybe not but they didnt even try.
So now as it stands it stinks for the lone 2 girls left out.

well then, aren't they going to check to see if there are scratches? sometimes the kids are put in the day before the competition. i certainly hope they check with the host club for scratches.

well then, aren't they going to check to see if there are scratches? sometimes the kids are put in the day before the competition. i certainly hope they check with the host club for scratches.
Yes they said they are checking for scratches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back