WAG Would you get your kid a flu vaccine before a meet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kimute

Proud Parent
I have had a hard time finding time for my DD to get her flu shot/mist between gym and being out for a week with the flu... I can do it tomorrow (Thursday), but she has a meet Saturday. Would you do this? I know adults sometimes feel flu-like after a flu vaccine, but kids seem more resilient...

I don't think it's that big of a deal. I mean we're talking one little meet...not the Olympics!

I usually have a sore arm for a day or so after mine. I'd do it on Thursday, but not Friday. I have no experience with Flumist. But wait....did you just say she was just out with the flu?

I would not.

I also would not use the mist under any circumstances. My DD's and I got the mist one year when my youngest was just barely 2 and old enough for it. We all got ragingly sick from it. I had had the shot several times with no problems, but the mist is only a weakened virus, not a dead one like the shot.

JMO/E.

I would get either one...and this year the recommendation is for kids ages 2-8 to get the mist, if possible

I have had a very sore arm for 4+ days in the past with the influenza vaccine. I would likely wait until after the meet.

I've never gotten a flu shot. (Or the flu *knocks on wood*)
Interesting it's being recommended to all US citizens. I guess you learn something new every day!

Now I don't have a kid yet, but I'd hold off on any vaccines until after a meet. Unless she has another one next week or something.

I've never gotten a flu shot. (Or the flu *knocks on wood*)
Interesting it's being recommended to all US citizens. I guess you learn something new every day!

Now I don't have a kid yet, but I'd hold off on any vaccines until after a meet. Unless she has another one next week or something.
Not the only country either, quite a few do.
Looking at the WHO website, the strains look the same as last year (northern hemisphere), so well, I don't know! I've been called up (asthma uk) but might not bother this year.

I had flu once, at Uni, and was bedridden for 2 weeks, very ill, but have never had a shot, even though I am asthmatic.

Yes. She's more likely to contract the flu at her meet, by being in close contact with other people who are just starting to be symptomatic, than suffer any ill effects from the flu shot or mist.

Yes. She's more likely to contract the flu at her meet, by being in close contact with other people who are just starting to be symptomatic, than suffer any ill effects from the flu shot or mist.

Even if she got the shot or the mist the day before the meet, it wouldn't protect her from anyone at the meet with the flu. It takes two weeks to build up the immunity.

Given how sore my arm is, I wouldn't do it the day before. I'd do it the Monday following.

My DD got the shot immediately before practice and had no difficulty with soreness though by the end it was pretty sore. Max soreness from the shot was about 24 hours later but she was still able to do a full workout the next day. I did not give her any pain reliever.

I would not.

I also would not use the mist under any circumstances. My DD's and I got the mist one year when my youngest was just barely 2 and old enough for it. We all got ragingly sick from it. I had had the shot several times with no problems, but the mist is only a weakened virus, not a dead one like the shot.

JMO/E.
Did you get sick right away? My DD had the mist about 7-8 weeks ago and was perfectly fine after and hasn't been sick at all.

I would wait till after the meet TBH-but I'm a little OCD and worrisome about things ;)

Even if she got the shot or the mist the day before the meet, it wouldn't protect her from anyone at the meet with the flu. It takes two weeks to build up the immunity.

Given how sore my arm is, I wouldn't do it the day before. I'd do it the Monday following.

It takes UP TO two weeks to build total immunity. Immunity can start to build rather quickly, even within a day or two, but not reach full immunity for two weeks or it can be within days. It really depends on each person's immune system. That's why healthcare professionals continue to encourage people to get the vaccination even after flu season has begun. Kids 2 to 8 can also require two flu vaccinations to reach full immunity. All the more reason not to wait.

Agree would definitely consider flumist as it has the best efficacy in kiddos and you won't get the sore arm.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back