WAG Wrist Strengthening?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've noticed that my wrists hurt when doing back handsprings, or skills like press handstands where you have to lean over your wrists. They also sometimes hurt when doing a bunch of front hip circles. Do you know any ways to strengthen my wrists so that they won't hurt as much?

Reactions: RTT
Yes, there are exercises to strengthen wrists. But I'd first be checking your technique to look for a reason they have started hurting. For example, are you turning your hands out in your BHS.

How long have you been working the handsprings or front hip circles. They will get stronger over time to some degree unless they are just plain weak right now or overused.

Rope climbs, sandbucket work where you practice grabbing handfuls of sand or beans or rice, or dumbbell circles where you rotate your hand while holding a small DB.

The chinese also use a lot of wall HS to build this but it must be done over time.

I've noticed that my wrists hurt when doing back handsprings, or skills like press handstands where you have to lean over your wrists. They also sometimes hurt when doing a bunch of front hip circles. Do you know any ways to strengthen my wrists so that they won't hurt as much?

Ice them right after gymnastics, then again later in the evening and on your off days. My DD's wrist hurt for a while as her conditioning increased. We iced her wrists regularly until they were stronger. She also slept in these Supportive Wrist Brace provides support, pain relief, promotes healing.

Her wrists no longer bother her and she trains alot!

Icing is good for pain relief but doesn't really do much else. It numbs pain. That's it.

But the mere fact that your wrists hurt just from doing front hip circles tells me you have weak wrists.

Use some wraps or braces if need be but don't forget to do some wrist conditioning.

I'll be in this boat until my wrists recover from a training injury last month. In the meantime, wraps are getting through some of the training (albeit in a diminished amount of volume and weight).

I've been doing front hip circles for a year or two now, but my wrists only hurt on those if I've done a bunch, like 15-20 or so. I think I might be turning my hands out on my bhs, I'll have to pay attention to that next time.
How does the sandbucket conditioning help strengthen your wrists? I'm not asking sarcastically or anything, just wondering.

Strengthens your grip. Old chinese martial art drill to make hands strong enough to well...do martial artsy stuff.

Grabs works flexors, spreading hands out works extensors.

Icing is good for pain relief but doesn't really do much else. It numbs pain. That's it.

Icing minimizes inflammatory response and improves recovery time after soft tissue damage. Thousands of athletes in about every sport known ice for the healing benefits not for the numbing effect. People don't sit in ice baths so they don't hurt they take advil if they just don't want to feel the pain. Trainers use ice baths because they work.

Do a little research on it and decide for yourself. You will find people on both sides but the majority agree there are noticeable benefits from icing for 20 minutes several times ( up to 5 ) times a day.

We have several personal experiences from the benefits including my gymnast daughter's wrist.

My daughter wears wrist supports (the type you can get at Target or CVS etc) as recommended by her orthopedist. He did xray her wrists because there is something called gymnast's wrists (don't know exactly what that is) but happily that was not her problem. She went to PT and learned some wrist exercises and does them faithfully at home. Her wrists are much better now but she still wears the supports.

Icing minimizes inflammatory response and improves recovery time after soft tissue damage.

Yes, yes I know this. Mainly I'm referring somewhat to chronic icing.

Should you use ice? | 70's Big

How should we ice, then? | 70's Big

As a general rule, you will not ice chronic soft tissue injuries. As I’ve said a hundred times before, chronic soft tissue injuries are usually due to improper mechanics or conducting mechanics with improper mobility. Barring a past acute injury, there’s an underlying cause as to why this chronic issue exists. Identify and diagnose what that is and fix it — if you don’t then the issue won’t go away no matter what treatment you apply.

Icingcan help chronic issues, but only when it is applied after aggressive rehabilitation.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back