xcel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does anyone know much about the xcel program? My daughter is getting very frustrated with compulsories. My question is, can a gymnast go from xcel to optionals, or do they have to go through compulsories to get to optionals?

You do need to score out of level 5 and 6 to get to optionals, though a teenager (14 or older, I think?) and her coach can petition to get into level 7 if a girl has the skills. I think it requires sending a video to USAG and filling out some paperwork. Generally the xcell program has the girls practicing fewer hours (I believe ours practice 10 hours a week. Level 6 is 14 hours a week, just to give you a point of comparison) so they tend to gain skills slower than that would in the Jr. Olympic track and tend to stay at one level of xcell for more than one year (from what I have seen at our gym). The girls who do it really love it though. They get their own routines and it's easier to navigate around things like fears without holding a gymnast back from progressing in other areas. Different gyms handle the program differently though, so you really need to talk to the specific gym(s) you are looking at and find out how their program operates.

Currently the Xcel program varies greatly depending on the area and the gym. Next year, the Xcel program will be a national program which will provide some consistency.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back