WAG xcel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

my dd is borderline new lvl 3 and 4 and we are switching gyms. New coach suggested new lvl 3 or xcel program. I really know nothing about xcel bc we have only been at this a little over a year. Any advice or insight?

Theres plenty on chalkbucket about xcel, but all of the rules and levels have just changed for Xcel. Hang in there. We really like the xcel program so far.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I have been in xcel for nearly 3 years now and I love it. It's a great program for kids who excel in a few events but lag behind in others.

I used Xcel this past year for my gymnasts that were between levels and it helped them so much. They are now prepared to score out of new 4 and hopefully new 5 so they can go optional. It gave them the opportunity to work the required skills for the next level up but have a fun successful season. It's a great program in our gym.

Xcel is an awesome program :) it's cheaper, often has less demand and practice time and is super fun. Me and my friends are going platinum and it's really neat.

One of the problems with Xcel is they don't train enough and typically you don't get the same coaching as JO. Sometimes there is crossover. For instance, some gyms use Xcel as an in between level when they don't want to repeat a JO gymnast at an old level yet they aren't ready for a new level.

If they don't want to make the commitment JO does due to hours and schedules (other sports, activities, family time); Xcel can be a good fit (also if there are budgetary concerns).

I doubt you are ever gonna see an Xcel gymnast going to a D1, maybe D2 or D3 or a competitive NAIGC/collegiate club. Those things are far away.

But I think a big factor is the time commitment and future path.

I agree that you need to check out the differences at your gym. Xcel can be a great program, but for those gyms that use it as an alternative to the JO system (I'm not talking about the ones that use it as a stepping stone to certain JO levels), it is likely to be an option with less hours per week and costing less money. The less hours and money can be good, but quite often the coaching is not as good (at our gym, coaching is significantly more demanding in the JO program), and it is unlikely that she could progress as far in the same amount of time with less hours. If she has other activities, wants to do it more "for fun" than anything else, or balks at longer training hours, Xcel can be a good option. If she wants something more serious, you should go with JO L3. But better to go in with your eyes wide open. Ask around to other parents and to the staff what the differences are between the two and what the attitude toward the Xcel team is at the gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back