WAG Xcel?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

J

JennC4

Hi, still fairly new to this site (and already extremely addicted to it). I've never heard of Xcel until I joined CB. I did some research it seems similar to a program that our gym does, IGC. Are they the same thing? Can someone explain? Confused!!!

Yes IGC and Xcel are essentially the same. Xcel belongs to the USAG. USAIGC is a completely different organization. So very similar programs run by two different organizations.

They are similar but there are some big differences. The one that seems biggest to me is that in IGC you can compete in two different levels at the same time, for individual events. Definitely can't do that in xcel. Also, the levels are a bit shifted. Copper IGC is like xcel bronze, bronze like silver or gold in xcel, gold is like xcel platinum, etc.. We went to an IGC meet yesterday and watched a gold session. They were definitely doing harder skills than we have seen even platinums do at DDs xcel meets.

And you can not do IGC and Xcel/JO. But you can do Xcel and JO as both are USAG.

I was reading the rules on that, and all I could find was that IGC doesn't allow girls to compete in two leagues (usag and usaigc) simultaneously. Not that they can't do it at all. So, if you are a compulsory gymnast in the fall, there isn't a rule against being IGC in the spring... I know a gym that has their girls do a couple of the earliest (dec-jan) optionals meets for score out purposes, then they switch gears and do the complete IGC season, which starts in February, all the way to worlds.

I was reading the rules on that, and all I could find was that IGC doesn't allow girls to compete in two leagues (usag and usaigc) simultaneously. Not that they can't do it at all. So, if you are a compulsory gymnast in the fall, there isn't a rule against being IGC in the spring... I know a gym that has their girls do a couple of the earliest (dec-jan) optionals meets for score out purposes, then they switch gears and do the complete IGC season, which starts in February, all the way to worlds.
I believe its the USAG rules.

I believe its the USAG rules.
USAG says that you can't compete in 2 state meets in one SEASON. They say nothing about competing in IGC or AAU or anything else in your "off-season." There is a gym near us that USED to do Compulsories in the Fall thru State in December then IGC in the spring for those who weren't moving to Optionals. They COULD have done spring compulsories too, but always opted not to.
The ONLY reason they stopped IGC is that the State decided that they would only have one state meet and it would be in the spring.

Our kids did JO states and are getting ready for Xcel States. They couldn't do IGC this year. They had to pick USAG or IGC. Both were not allowed.

Everyone keeps saying that on here, but I still see it with my own two eyes and have been unable to find a rule written that actually precludes it. I guess it's a your mileage may vary thing, but if you aren't doing them at the same exact time, and aren't going to two states, I don't see why not.

ETA- the kids a know who compete both never have intentions to compete usag states or regionals. It's 1-2 meets a season and done.

Our kids did JO states and are getting ready for Xcel States. They couldn't do IGC this year. They had to pick USAG or IGC. Both were not allowed.
Forgot to add. Last year we had girls do all three. Again this year the gym (as in owners/coaches) had to choose USAG or IGC.

Closest thing I could find:

In order to compete in a sanctioned competition, an athlete must be a registered USA Gymnastics Athlete Member or Introductory Athlete Member (Levels 1-2 & Xcel).

A gymnast may compete in a maximum of two (2) State meets per competitive year (one per season), either at the same or higher Level.

Forgot to add. Last year we had girls do all three. Again this year the gym (as in owners/coaches) had to choose USAG or IGC.

I was talking about personal experience for girls in this current season. Competing both. I know that there was some changes made in the past year, but I am absolutely clear on what these girls do.

I am new to the CB site and to gymnastics as a parent. My daughter is 8-years old and a very committed USAIGC team member in NYC. I know it's early to talk about this, because of her age, but she has expressed a desire to go all the way with her beloved sport - to college team or to major international competition. So I am wondering - Is there a better way to guide her through her development in the sport than through an IGC program? Is USAG / Excel "better"? What are the pros and cons? thank you

I am new to the CB site and to gymnastics as a parent. My daughter is 8-years old and a very committed USAIGC team member in NYC. I know it's early to talk about this, because of her age, but she has expressed a desire to go all the way with her beloved sport - to college team or to major international competition. So I am wondering - Is there a better way to guide her through her development in the sport than through an IGC program? Is USAG / Excel "better"? What are the pros and cons? thank you

Hello, and welcome to the Chalkbucket! This is a really old thread, you'd probably be a lot better off starting a new thread to ask these questions, you'll get more responses that way!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back