YOUNGEST elite gymnast?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I found this through Yahoo Answers but it is a couple of years old:

Actually there is an 11 year old Elite gymnast from Russia: Nailia Mustafina there are also two 12 year old Elite gymnasts Jordyn Wieber and Kamerin Moore.

11 year old international elites

I won't mention their names. But Airborne and Dynamo each had a girl qualify as an international elite a couple of years ago. I think they both qualified at the camp at the same time. They're up and comers. One of them is the daughter of a very savy commentor on the Chalk Bucket. Her daughter is super.

Julio Garcia,
Jamy's dad

Other countries don't have an elite test like the USA. So no definite age of when they 'pass' to become elite. In the UK we have an elite track of competition but probably wouldn't say a gymnast was elite until they had competed internationally ie at 14 minimum for juniors.

In the US didn't Baillie Key pass the elite qualifier at 10 last year?

I think the general consensus is that she was probably born around 1979, making her 10 when she competed at worlds. That's pretty insane.

As far as competing internationally - Hollie Vise went to both Belgium and Russia in 1999, when she was 11 (turned 12 in Dec 99). As far as competing internationally for the US that's the youngest I can think of.

It is true that Russians have always had a strangle hold in gymnastics with style. It seems that 11 years is pretty young to mold an elite gymnast, but still possible.

Apart from Russia, China is an emerging nation with young gymnasts with future full of promise. They showed their colors in Bei Jing Olympics. They breed winners. It is high time to see many Chinese girls below this age category who are professional gymnasts at any rate.

I don't know what you mean by the last sentence. You won't see younger because FIG rules are that seniors can only compete the year they turn 16, there are some junior competitions from 14 held at world class level. You rarely see footage of gymnasts younger than 13 competing internationally. But yes China has many lovely gymnasts.

I'm sorry I don't like your comment about breeding winners. Personally I think winners are trained and nurtured. And China has a one child per family policy so it is hardly encouraging 'breeding' of any sort. :cool:

Im from the usa and became elite by age 11 and i started gymnastics at age 2 :/

This recent International Gymnast Magazine report on the Top Gym meet says that the two Romanian competitors were 10 and 11. I don't know when someone is considered "elite" in Romania, but they were competing against US Junior National Team members.

Of course it depeands on what you count. A gymnut says we have an elite stream here in the UK from a young age but I would call gymnasts here elite either once they have passed level 2, so have qualified to compete at the british the next year, or once they compete in the british. That would be the year you turn 11 or the year you turn 12.

Gymnastic is much helpful to maintain the good one body figure and have the better one impact
on the health also.... It keeps your body flexible.....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back