Beam shoes?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cathiann

My daughter's beam coach is suggesting she get beam shoes--DD has had a continuing issue with her feet---she's broken two different toes (little toe and a middle toe) and has ripped off a nail on a toe--bleeding all over on different occasions (including at Regionals last week!).

So my question--does anyone have experience with them? Like them? Hate them? Beth doesn't want them--she thinks she'll lose feeling of the beam (says she uses her toes a lot of balance, etc. and thinks she'll miss that).

Can't afford them right now anyway (they're nearly $50!), but just checking to see if other like them.

Never had any experience with them myself but i don't think i'd like the idea of beam shoes either, you would lose touch of the beam. Maybe see if there is an alternative option

What specifically caused the toe issues? If it was sticking while trying to turn you could try some dance paws, the make several different brands and the just cover the ball of the foot, not the toes or heels. It makes turns easier plus they are like $15-$20.

What specifically caused the toe issues? If it was sticking while trying to turn you could try some dance paws, the make several different brands and the just cover the ball of the foot, not the toes or heels. It makes turns easier plus they are like $15-$20.

It's hitting her toes on the beam when doing her split jump/back tuck.

I had to wear them when I cut my toe open.. I got used to them right away and they didn't mess me up on turns or anything. But if she is stubbing her toe I don't see how beam shoes would prevent that..? But maybe ask your DD's coach if she (if it's a she) has an old beam shoe she could try out, just to see if she would want them.

If she is stubbing her toe hard doing back tucks then that is to do with the way she is doing the skill. She might need to increase her power or height or improve her technique or timing. It might help to ask a coach for some conditioning or drills to help with it.

i have beam shoes, personally i really dont like them because i find them slippery on beam, and i feel like it is hard to feel the beam, its like wearing socks on beam almost, but less slippery. Im sure she could get used to them if she really wanted/had to though, many olympians use them. good luck! :)

actually, the last olympian to use them was kerri strug. the use of these shoes are random at best.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back