Calculating team scores at meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gasrgoose

Proud Parent
How are team scores calcualted at meets? Is it usually by level? Top 3 scores per age group or per level?

I'm a parent of a new gymnast and our first meet is this weekend. It looks like we have a pretty good level 5 team but I have no idea how the team awards are calculated.

Sometimes it's top 3 or 4 scores and they have to be pre-designated before the meet...other times it's top 3 or 4 scores, no matter who gets it. I've seen meets with top 5 scores as well...usually the minimum is 3 scores .

Team scores are calculated for the team, regardless of gymnasts' ages. I believe it is usually the top three scores on each event, making a perfect team score 120 (if all three scores on every event were 10s).

All the USAG meets we have been to its the top 3 scores from all age groups at a sepcific level are added together for each event then those are added to get the all around team score.

How are team scores calcualted at meets? Is it usually by level? Top 3 scores per age group or per level?

I'm a parent of a new gymnast and our first meet is this weekend. It looks like we have a pretty good level 5 team but I have no idea how the team awards are calculated.

I think you'll see a little bit of everything especially at the compulsory levels. I've seen them use the top 3 all around scores, top 3 scores on each event and even out to the top 5. Once you start doing big invitiationals(more for the optional girls) they tend to stick with top 3, however I've never seen any "predesignation." Most often, they'll just take the top whatever scores from your gym no matter which gymnast gets it/them.

Most meets also usually will post the scores on-line following the meet. They generally have the individual scores posted as well as the team scores, listing out the individual scores that contributed to the team score. I have only seen a couple of meets that "predesignate" the team members, and in those cases, the gym can usually designate more than one team if they choose to do so.
Also, I know of one state that has separate team competitions based on the size of the teams- so for example teams with more than 20 members aren't competing against teams of 4.

In the men's program...many times there is a prime age team award as well as an all ages team award.

Just throwing it out there, but sometimes team scores are calculated with a different number of scores based on team size. I've been to meets where they take, say, the level 5 teams and put half the teams in the "small team" division and half the teams in the "large team" division. In small team, top 3 on each event count, in large team, in might be top 4 or 5. If you find the meet information sheet that they send to the gym (this is usually available on line), you can see how that meet will calculate team scores.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back