MAG Convincing gymnast coaches don't hate him

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

OwlGalLiz

Proud Parent
My 5 (six years old next month) level 4 is convinced the coaches hate him. They are hard on him, he's good so they expect more from him. But how do you convince him that they are coaching him because they see potential in him vs him thinking (and telling you) "coach doesn't think I a good gymnast"? I've tried pulling the coaches aside, but usually get a one or two word sentence before they move on and have a long conversation with another parent. Sometimes my little guy is in tears, but I am at a loss how to explain to him that because they think he is good. We talk about it nightly, and how his coaches like him. However, in hisind he thinks differently.

I don't know the answer but I think every gymnast at some point thinks their coach hates them. Lol

I think you'll get lots of empathy and given all the smart parents on CB, maybe even the answer!

I think this is hard for kids to understand. At this age, that is a concept that they can't really grasp. My ds is 11 and still struggles with it.

What it takes for d is one of two things. A great practice or a private tip reconnect. Now i am not promoting privates but this has always worked for d. It gives him a chance to be with the coach and get some positive feedback without the stress of others.

Ultimately, I think the coaches need to be the ones to work this out. You may need to email or set up a meeting to talk about it. Otherwise, focus on the good stuff. In fact sometimes I don't even talk about gym when d is in one of his moods.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back