Daughter had a HUGE growth spurt during comp season

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

Sydsmom

She had high hopes to skip level 4 and go to 5 but she grew 4 inches and 20 lbs between October and March (she is 11 btw) She was doing so well, then the growth spurt hit and it has been increasingly difficult for her. She went from 4'10 to 5'3 and she isn't done.
What is frustrating me is that the coaches knew what her plan was, she even went so far as to type up what she wants to learn and master before next season. But except for private lessons, during regular practice I feel like they hold her back. I'm not sure what to say or if I should say anything. She has complained to me, but I told her to talk to her coach. She says it won't make a difference.
What can I do?:confused:

Ouch! That's always hard. You should arrange a meeting with the coach, your daughter and yourself, and talk about the goals, plan, etc.

Last edited:
Funny thing is we did that..and gave a print out to all the coaches she works with...but still nothing. The only time she gets to train at an upper level is when we attend their practice on Friday's. Other than that ... it's still level 3 stuff and a little bit of 4.

wow that is a huge growth spurt! My DD is 11 and she has not had hers yet! Hopefully she will be able to handle it as well as your DD! Keep saying something to the coach or have your DD keep asking about uptraining. The squeeky wheel gets the grease!!

Many girls are really thrown "off" when they hit even a small growth spurt, but 4" is alot to adjust to in a few months. The coaches may see that she's having some problems doing skills she already has due to the growth and are not pushing her forward until she gets more accustomed to her "new" body.
Do you have any type of end of season conference? If so, then this should all be brought up and discussed then. If not and dd is frustrated, then set up a time to talk with her coach about uptraining and just general plans for the summer. You can ask them to briefly review the list of skills she gave them and see where she is and why some aren't being worked. I would include dd since she's old enough to discuss this. That way you know what the coach is thinking/planning and go from there.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back