Difference in scoring?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hawaii_gymnast

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
I have noticed a big difference in scoring between the scoring in Canada and the US. I am not a judge but have competed for quite a few years so can pick up simple deductions. Many of the videos on youtube I was have say a 9.5 when I can clearly see many more deductions and its not just one video.
Also when I competed in the US (L8) I did front handspring 1/1 vault and scored 9.2 out of 9.5. When here I consistently score 12.7-13.1's (out of 14) and my vault there wasn't the nicest one I have done either.
Something just doesn't seem right lots of girls (from youtube videos scoring 9.5s) put into our approximate levels (assuming full start vaules) would get 11's (out of 13.7 for L5-L6 equivalent). So i guess my question is what is the big difference is scoring? You would think it would be fairly similar but there are really big differences. Why?

that's like asking why do birds fly, why does chocolate taset so good.

Because the USA uses a scale out of 10.0 their execution deductions are smaller. As Canada uses the international deductions they are bigger.

For example in the international scoring system the deduction in 1.0 for the fall but the US uses the old system where it is only 0.5. On international deductions you can only take 0.1, 0.3 or 0.5 deductions in skills while in the us they ave 0.05, 0.1 and 0.2 deductions.

Ie in the US the deduction for a moderately bent knee is 0.1 and on the international system it is 0.3.

So as you can see you are scoring similarly just with larger deductions.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back