WAG Flat feet and proper punching?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kcanflip

Proud Parent
Has anybody ever had a kid with flat feet that just could not do a proper punch? Are the flat feet the problem or just a contributing factor? My daughter is struggling with her punch front and also has always had a hard time punching properly for vault and just curious.

I've tried to research your question in the past because my daughter is also flat footed. I feel she lacks a "spring" in her step. Some girls just seem to bounce off quite easily and high. I never found an answer to this question or how flat feet affects tumbling, punching etc. I think perhaps it does affect it a bit but there are several elite gymnasts who have flat feet and it has not affected them. So perhaps good training and technique is vital. My daughter is a second year level 10 right now. I feel her flat feet somewhat requires more effort on her part to tumble or punch, but she is able to do all the skills thrown her way. I feel the biggest concern of flat feet is injuries. Flat feet can affect the proper alignment of the body and can cause knee pain/injuries, hips and back. I also noticed my daughter's feet seems more flat than it was.

There are plenty of girls with good arches who also incorrectly punch off of their whole foot, so I'd call it a contributing factor.

Must have been contributing. Something clicked with her punch last night and she got her punch front and it looked good! She's older and pretty strong so I knew it was not a strength thing. Hopefully this ah ha moment in regards to how she punches will translate to a better vault as well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back