food served at gymnastics camps

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

emorymom

Proud Parent
Could you chime in on the quality of the food served at the gymnastics camps you have attended?

We just got back from 5 days at science camp and it was AWFUL. It was family camp week, and I would not send my children there alone until they were old enough to be making wise food choices on their own. My son would have lived on HFCS and fried potatoes the entire week. Even using control at this camp would have killed you in 3 months. Seriously sugar, HFCS, and some fried potato product or Doritos were served the vast majority of the meals and lunch and dinner always served dessert. There was iceberg lettuce on the bar (not on the tray), occasionally a raw vegetable tray on the bar, but no other vegetable unless you count that I saw canned peas one night. The last night we missed dinner as I drove the kids to a gym to work out and burn off some of that crud. Instead of going back for dinner I stopped at the Golden Corrall and ate two platefulls of green beans and broccoli.

Our final breakfast was typical: french toast sticks with HFCS syrup. Three servings of tater tots piled on every tray. Two links of sausage. Cold bar options were Trix yogurt (with freaky artificial colors), cereal (sugar and HFCS together, yum), apples and bananas. I ate about 20 apples while I was there.

I'm hoping to hear that the gymnastics camps do better?

THe food at GymRep is cafeteria food and really pretty awful. Tough the camp is pretty cheap by USA standards. THey also do not cater for vegetarians AT ALL! Poutine, chinese noodles, spaghetti etc

IGC food was awsome, fresh fruit and salad bar, vege choices and lots of choices at each meal. BUt for the price they charge I would expect this.

No poutine at the US camps for sure!

IGC has awesome food- there is a nice picture on their website and they really do serve those big fruit buffets all the time.

Woodward is good- lots of choices including bad choices and good choices. My dd and her friends eat at the grill all week- grilled chicken and burgers mostly. There is a taco bar and bagel bar in the main cafeteria. There is always fresh salad and fruit. You can eat as healthy or unhealthy as you want.

THe food at GymRep is cafeteria food and really pretty awful. Tough the camp is pretty cheap by USA standards. THey also do not cater for vegetarians AT ALL! Poutine, chinese noodles, spaghetti etc

IGC food was awsome, fresh fruit and salad bar, vege choices and lots of choices at each meal. BUt for the price they charge I would expect this.

Oh! I miss poutine!!!

MY DD goes to USAGTC at Mt Holyoke College in So Hadely MA and the food she says is really good. My dd is a really fussy eater so if she eats it and says its good it usually is.

My son when he went said the same thing. better than caf food.

MY DD goes to USAGTC at Mt Holyoke College in So Hadely MA and the food she says is really good. My dd is a really fussy eater so if she eats it and says its good it usually is.

My son when he went said the same thing. better than caf food.

Food at USGTC was great! I've been a vegetarian my whole life, and there were always things that I could eat.

sorry for the off topic, but...
this thread is a real education for me! lol
I have had to google 'poutine' and also HFCS as i had no clue at all what they were!!
I must say poutine sounds like a good comfort food that i would enjoy!

Boo went to Flip Fest year before last and she said the food was pretty good. Of course, she mostly ate at the salad bar..... (she was 7 and if she couldn't identify what they were serving, she just had salad. :p)

The food at IGC is incredible, not cafeteria food at all. I'll be honest, the food is one of the things I look forward too most when going there :) They have a variety of hot items at breakfast, cereal, toast, and fruit, and there is a salad bar, hot dogs, soup, and wraps at lunch and dinner. I have looked at woodward menus, and it looks like they barely have anything on the main menu! But I did look at a lake owen menu and the food looked pretty good

Another thumbs up for IGC. DD went this summer and loved everything about the camp. She said the salad/fruit bar was the best and I could confirm she did eat some fruit and veggies as I saw 2 candid shots of her taken during the week and she had a plate full of melon and strawberries and carrots.

As for the HFCS - I'm sure it was used - most institutions can't avoid it. But we try and avoid the remaining 51 weeks of the year so i don't stress it too much. If she was going the whole summer, then I'm sure I would feel different!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back