Parents Gym hours

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

have you ever wondered what they do during all those hours? how much time moving mats, chalking up, talking to one another, waiting for turns vs. actually doing something on the apparatus?

Gymnastics training hours seem highly inefficient... Especially if you are part of a large team or large training group. therefore, comparing hours without knowing the size of the training group may not be accurate

have you ever wondered what they do during all those hours? how much time moving mats, chalking up, talking to one another, waiting for turns vs. actually doing something on the apparatus?

Gymnastics training hours seem highly inefficient... Especially if you are part of a large team or large training group. therefore, comparing hours without knowing the size of the training group may not be accurate
True. My DD has trained in a group of everywhere from 6 girls to 30. Size isn't necessarily an indicator of the quality of time either, though. I've seen her in a bigger group and working nearly non-stop, and in a bigger group with tons of lag time. It just depends on the coaches. There's a tipping point though. Her current group is small and there is very little time to stand around- 6 girls, 2 coaches, so usually 3 girls on an apparatus rotation with a coach at a time. You get numbers that low and the coaches would have to willfully be wasting time.

True. My DD has trained in a group of everywhere from 6 girls to 30. Size isn't necessarily an indicator of the quality of time either, though. I've seen her in a bigger group and working nearly non-stop, and in a bigger group with tons of lag time. It just depends on the coaches. There's a tipping point though. Her current group is small and there is very little time to stand around- 6 girls, 2 coaches, so usually 3 girls on an apparatus rotation with a coach at a time. You get numbers that low and the coaches would have to willfully be wasting time.
I would agree size is not necessarily an indicator of time. I see inefficiencies in the number of drill stations set up at an apparatus rotation, the amount of equipment and/or space to do the drills efficiently and the timing at each drill station. I will see backlog of kids at a drill station and kids standing around when there are other drill stations standing empty. The coach will typically reset the group to better disperse the kids to allow for more effective use of the stations.

Our gym only does 3 hour sessions (they feel more then that increase the chance of injury). Even camp days its never more then 3 hours without a break.

However those 3 hours no break beyond some water breaks. There is no wasted time. The kids are alway doing some thing.

So example, vault. You vault with coach, get your corrections, move to rope climb, to press handstands, to planking down to start point of vault, repeat. There is virtually no standing around chatting.

There is no.wasted.time. Or very little, those mats and such get adjusted asap. And all stations are like that. Bars, bar work with coach, corrections, bars without coach, more press handstands, perhaps gut crunchers, another conditioning station and back around. Depending on what they are doing there might be 2 or three kids on the equipment. Never more then 2 or three waiting and not for long. Just enough time for a quick rest/reset. Love our gym.

Now the gym we moved from, did 4 hours per practice, lots of standing around and then they wanted to add a day. Ummm, hmmmm may be more efficient use of time no need for extra day. And that would be why we are no longer there.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back