Parents Gym Regulated Hours

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LadyBugGymnast

Proud Parent
Hi,
Does USAG limit/regulate the amount of hours girls can train at a gym based on age/level? Or is it strictly by gym or region? I think I saw a thread a while back about this, but I wanted to see if there was any more information on this subject.

I don't believe that USAG regulates anyone's hours. I think they make some recommendations and call it a day. That is what leads to such a huge disparity of training hours across Xcel and JO from gym to gym. Even within a region. There are JO gyms in commuting distance from my home that train optionals everywhere from 10 hours a week to 36.

I've never heard of USAG limiting anything, but NCAA does have limits once you are actually on an NCAA team (though it seems most programs find ways around those limits anyway).

The practice times for USAIGC are listed in their Rules and Policies("up to" hours):
Copper 1: 4 hrs
Copper 2: 5 hrs
Bronze: 6 hrs
Silver: 8 hrs
Gold: 10 hrs
Platinum modified: 15 hrs
Platinum College Rules: 18 hrs

The practice times for USAIGC are listed in their Rules and Policies("up to" hours):
Copper 1: 4 hrs
Copper 2: 5 hrs
Bronze: 6 hrs
Silver: 8 hrs
Gold: 10 hrs
Platinum modified: 15 hrs
Platinum College Rules: 18 hrs
There is absolutely no enforcement, however. I know firsthand of multiple gyms whose copper girls go more than allowed for gold and whose silvers- platinums go up to 25 hours a week.

This is good info, thanks. I wasnt sure as I have seen many girls who range in age and training hours are all over the place. Some are as young as 3 and the parents claim they train 16/20 hours a week, and other are 6/8 and train the same hours give or take their level. I saw some threads get heated on the discussion of hours vs age, so I tried to be as neutral as possible regarding the issue. So, if there is no "cap" on training, is it up to the parent then to make the decision on what is overly bearing for training "crazy hours?" When would you draw that line? We currently havent run into that issue with LadyBug, she currently goes 2x a week for 2 hours, but that is going to be upped at the end of the season, pending review. What is normal for the region you are in?

There is absolutely no enforcement, however. I know firsthand of multiple gyms whose copper girls go more than allowed for gold and whose silvers- platinums go up to 25 hours a week.

My guess is even if they want to try this would be hard to enforce, sort of like the NCAA restriction is hard to enforce due to optional practices or strength and conditioning. I mean what if a team has "open gym" and the parents choose to send their kid, does that count? Just one example. Or what if they sign up for a private lesson? Presumably this is why USAG doesn't bother.

. So, if there is no "cap" on training, is it up to the parent then to make the decision on what is overly bearing for training "crazy hours?" When would you draw that line? We currently havent run into that issue with LadyBug, she currently goes 2x a week for 2 hours, but that is going to be upped at the end of the season, pending review. What is normal for the region you are in?

Where we live the hours go from our gym which has some of lowest at 9-12 hrs to around 20. Gyms have their programs and as a parent you decide what works.

My daughter is currently trains about 10 hours a week. She is heading to L6. She will be training 12 plus hours over the summer, back to 10 when school starts. It works for us.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back