Parents Help! Feeling burned by gym's preteam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

there is no "pre-team" at DD gym - just rec through L4 (which moves right into team and generally girls then compete L4 within a year), or Hot Shots - for preschool/kinder kids with promise. Kids spend 1-3 years at Hot shots - either waiting to be old enough for competition, or mature enough to move from 4-5 hours a week to 8-12 once they are on team. Our gym does not compete any of the levels not required by USAG, so starts at L4...the younger girls often are on team a year or so before competing. Hots Shots and team includes many TOPS training skills, but there is no TOPS program within 100 miles.

It would not be at all unusual for a kid to spend 2-3 years in the "preteam" pipeline here - Hot Shots and "non-competing L4", but then they'd start competing with higher level skills than gyms that have team for lower levels. DD did a year of hot shots and a year of team before competing - but has friends who did 2 of each, for example....it really depends upon how each kid progresses here...no kids are considered too old....some move from hot shots to rec even if getting older and still not ready - its all good!

Two hours per week is not enough for an 8 year-old who wants to compete. I don't care what level you call it, but two hours per week is basically rec. There just isn't time to develop anything, really. I would check out other gyms in your area, or even explore excel at your current gym.

Agree with happy - 2 hours a week is rec. Real pre-team is about 6 hours a week (3 2-hour practices, maybe 90 min each). You have to have enough time to get to all 4 events and you have to have consistent coaching.

Gosh, I'm surprised they said 8 years old was too old for L2. My DD competed L2 this past year and the age range was 5 to 13 with most of the kids being in the 8-9 year range. I agree with all that GAgymom said above!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back