Help for stronger tumbling?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey! So I really want to try to increase my tumbling, but I just never seem to have power! I honestly have no idea what's wrong I asked my coach and she said just to push harder, and I have but I still can't seem to even get my RO BHS BHS with enough power. There are days when my tumbling is great, and other days when it's not. Any advice?

make sure you are taking care of other factors liike nutrition and rest. those can really impact training day to day. if your tumbling is slow, you probably need to get stronger as a base.

I agree with the other coaches on here. Video would help. Lacking that, are you blocking hard in your RO and your BHS? Are you tight? Are you running and tumbling flat-footed, or are you pushing through your ankles and toes? In addition to tight, those all influence your speed and power.

What i found helped my tumbling was going back to power starts or jump hurdles so that I could do all my tumble rows from a power start and because I could do that when i took a few steps my tumbling was sooooo much better!

What i found helped my tumbling was going back to power starts or jump hurdles so that I could do all my tumble rows from a power start and because I could do that when i took a few steps my tumbling was sooooo much better!

Okay so remember about good form and tension in your core and all of that stuff because it all helps. I liked gymgurls power hurdle idea becuase I think the weakest link in any skill is the first mistake you make during that skill. Try to get a good hurdle, then lean/fall into your round-off (it is called tumbling). This will help you get into your round-off with more speed and power. There are so many other things to do after that to increase your tumbling speed that I can't tell you everything all at once. I can tell you that I think of simple things when looking for power in tumbling. Here's a few:

Straight direction...If you wanted to run into something to knock it down, you'd run striaght because you know that zigging and zagging will slow you down and rob you of your power. So keep everything in a staight line, keep your head in line with your body as much as possible.

Gravity...It's not just for falls onto the beam. Get a little "pay back" by leaning into your tumbling. Show you what I mean....Stand still and upright, next begin to lean forward so far that you'll fall flat on your face if you don't step forward. If you do this right you"ll end up running forward and what got you moving forward was GRAVITY!!! Gravity can accellerate you for free, all you have to do is move your body parts into the right place, in the right shapes, at the right time.

Power posture....Yes your grandmother was right, good posture is important. I call it power posture because having it gives you more power. You need to figure out the key positions of tumbling like the snap down from a round off. Put your body into a position/posture that curves while keeping your body/core and legs tight like you were going to try to start a backwards race. If you are in this position and are leaning back as your feet touch the floor you gonna go zoomin into your back handspring...just make certain your arms are up as you finish the snap down or they won't get around in time.

There's more but you've got rnough to get started with

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back