Help on my round-off the closing of the legs and rebound.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnastjess

Hi, does anyone have any good drills on round-off's? particually the rebound and my coach tells me i close my legs too late so any tips/drills on that? is there anything i can remember in my mind that will help me? normally when going into a round-off i try to remember t-shape hands, pop shoulders, keep tight and snap down but i think if i learn to close my legs sooner that i would have a better rebound, i can close my legs together properly when i do it in slow mo but when i add running ect. it just doesnt happen. Thanks guys :)

I tell my gymnasts that the rebound is what happens when the roundoff is right (or servicable at least). Also to remember that it should accelerate. With super fast turnover the feet sometimes do come together late, but they get there & it's loads better, IMHO, than the cartwheel to handstand-pike down slow thing.

If your chest isn't coming up at the end immediately, a rebound is NOT going to happen. Jumping up, possible. a true rebound? nope.

My coach told me to bring my legs together as quickly as possible. Also to take a big step and reach far forward into it. And squeeze your ears with your arms. And suck your chest in, and land in a question mark shape. So many things to get right. My problem is I can't do the T-shape hands, my hands do not turn in 90 degrees (without hurting my elbow), which makes it hard to go straight.

I tell my gymnasts that the rebound is what happens when the roundoff is right (or servicable at least). Also to remember that it should accelerate. With super fast turnover the feet sometimes do come together late, but they get there & it's loads better, IMHO, than the cartwheel to handstand-pike down slow thing.

If your chest isn't coming up at the end immediately, a rebound is NOT going to happen. Jumping up, possible. a true rebound? nope.
Thanks so much, i will try to get a video at my next gym lesson on it so you can see what i am doing wrong? thanks again :)

Hi, still having trouble with this but Now I put my hands out to far, i go over the top and i snap my legs together but because my hands reach out to the side its all wrong? does anyone have any tips? thanks again :D

Hi Jess, sounds like you've improved your round off, it's a tough skill to get right, keep working on it.

Drill - cartwheels (feet step in together at the end) on a line with your arms glued to your ears from beginning to end. Use beanbags between your arms and ears if you can.
Tip - don't try to look at your hands in your round off, it makes your head stick out and back arch which will take your round off sideways, keep your head tucked in.
Tip - don't try to turn into the round off too early, reach forward, arms by ears.

Hope they help.

do all cartwheels and round-offs on a line. A RO does not need to land on a line for FX but you need to have your hands roughly on the line.

place the hands in a T fashion at the last possible moment. you want to keep them square as long as possible.

Hi, still having trouble with this but Now I put my hands out to far, i go over the top and i snap my legs together but because my hands reach out to the side its all wrong? does anyone have any tips? thanks again :D

Your hands need to reach forward, in front of you, not to the side. Also, don't have your hands too far apart, think about how close your hands are when your arms are squeezing your ears.

Yeah I didnt mean I reach too far out because at gym I have a good long and powerful hurdle, I started reaching my hands out to the side but have now corrected this I just need to work on having my feet in front of me for a good rebound, thanks for your tips everyone :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back