Anon High School Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (46b6)

My DD was curious about doing high school gymnastics and I was just wondering what other peoples experiences were with doing high school gymnastics. Along with this, I was wondering what skills she would need to make her high school team or what level majority of the girls are.

My daughter competed for her high school last year and really enjoyed it. She is at a higher level in club gymnastics, but it was actually challenging having to do some skills she hasn't done in a while. Vault in particular can be a hard transition. She did it just for fun and it was very low stress and a good environment. Plus she got to meet many gymnasts from other gyms and enjoyed that. She only had one teammate from her school though, so they weren't able to be competitive as a team which was fine.

It definitely depends on the state and area in general as far as what skills/level they compete at and what the overall environment is like. In my area (central NC), high school gymnastics is at the Xcel Platinum level and is pretty laid back I would say. Only 2 short practices a week and they aren't even mandatory. Most, but not all, of the gymnasts were still competing club gymnastics at the same time, so practice was more about tweaking your routines or getting feedback for them. It does seem like a disadvantage to those not in club gymnastics though.. not sure how they had enough practice time really.

High school gymnastics is very different depending on what state you are in and often which part of the state you are in. Her experience will also be dependent on how many girls are on the team as not everyone will compete at meets if there is a large team. This also influences what skill level she would need to have. There also are club gyms that do not allow team gymnasts to compete for their high school. All that being said, high school gymnastics can be a great experience with more of a team aspect.
If you are will to share more details I can try to be of more help.

Where I am, Ohio, high school is very competitive with the athletes at state being at a skill level of upper level 8 skills to level 10 skills. At the regular season meets a team may have a skill range of first time ever doing gymnastics to level 10. The range really is that large.

Depends not only on the state but also the school. My DD's high school in Minnesota literally accepts everyone regardless of skill level. That's not the case at all for other high schools in our state.

It varies by state, but in Texas I’ve seen girls range from barely level 5 skills to level 9/10. Just depends on how competitive the school is on whether they get to compete.

In Washington State just about anyone can join the team and the skills are as low as JO2. A few girls had never done gymnastics at all maybe a dance or cheer class previously. Coach was able to come up with routines so they could perform something.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back