Coaches How did you become a coach?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I started as just an involved adult who used to do gymnastics for fun.
It was also OG's 3rd year on team. One day while she was at practice, they needed help in one of the rec classes (needed 2 coaches for it due to size and that day, HC had 4 coaches call off sick... couldnt get another in there until after this class was over). I volunteered to help. It was fun.
Over the next 3 years, I would help out off and on as needed. HC taught me how to spot some skills (I had WATCHED spotting before that, but she gave me hands-on experience). I also learned all about Xcel requirements, etc. The first year we had Xcel Gold, I helped HC with requirements. We only had 3 girls in Xcel that year. The next year, we had more. I helped cut music and helped with choreography and corrections.
After that, I became MOSTLY a "bench coach" ... giving corrections and evaluating routines from the bleachers. I still do OCCASIONALLY spot if there is absolutely no one else available (doctor would be mad if she found out).
I continue to watch video trainings, read updates for JO and Xcel, and learn as much as I can.
This is my 6th / 7th year coaching.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back