WAG how long did it take you to get from RO BH BT to RO BH Full?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

sportymom

Hello!

I have a question, or better said some of them...

1) How long did it take you/your child to get from round off, standing back handspring and standing back tuck to connecting all three on floor?

2) How long did it take you to get from RO BH BT to RO BH Back Layout?

3) How long did it take you to get from RO BH BL to RO BH Full?

My daughter has a decent round off and can also do standing back handsprings and almost standing back tucks ( she can do it from an eraised surface, though), she learned all of it in 6 months, although she got the tuck in less than 3 weeks!
But she has never tried connecting them, it seems very hard for her and she says she is a little scared, because she doesn't know how the hell she can throw a back handspring after a round-off or a tuck after a handspring or a roundoff. I think i she has just no idea how she could dircet the momentum in the right direction!

Due to an ankle injury, she couldn't do too much floor in the last months and now is scared she would lack behind! She is training 6 hours a week+2 hours of conditioning our gym offers for free for their students!

I would appreciate your help!

I really don't know. They practice stations first then start to work connections. It's hard coming back from an injury and thinking how long will skills take to comeback. My dd is currently going through this but once summer comes I think she will be back to where she left off/got injured. The coaches know how to work an injured girl back into skills so just keep encouraging her that the skill will come with pouring in the drills. Also have her keep the coach in the know about how she is feeling, that helps too :)

That's very fast progress! It's hard for me to answer your question, though, because my daughter and her teammates didn't learn the standing versions before connecting everything. I would say that going from the BHS-BHS to the tuck was the hardest/longest phase for DD (really two full years before she mastered it) and going from tuck to layout and then layout to full came much easier (this happened, I think, within the span of a year). DS, on the other hand, seemed to take a very long time to get two good connected BHSs. After about two years, he finally figured it out last fall. The tucks, both front and back, are now coming pretty easily for him. He's actually close to a front pike on floor. I can tell you that last summer, before competing his second year of L5, his coach took them all back to the drawing board and worked on their roundoffs a LOT. Some of the parents found this puzzling, but it seemed to work -- they all had a good year on floor.

I wouldn't worry about how long. Most gymnasts can chuck a back tuck in a short amount of time. Perfecting the form takes much longer. Watch a level 4 meet (or the UK equivalent level) and you'll see tucks ranging from beautiful to, well, yeah. Coaches have different philosophies as to whether the mechanics should be drilled endlessly before the first attempt at the skill or whether it's better to try it early and make corrections. So, for one girl to say she got her back tuck in a week, and another to say she did 6 months of drills before getting it, they're not really talking the same language. The first one probably needs a lot of work, and the second one has already done much of it.

Think about the round off, a skill they learn somewhat early, and most young gymnasts will tell you they "have" it. Most coaches will tell you the round off takes a long time and is very hard to perfect.

everyone is different.
weeks to months?
my DD cant do standing BT, but she can do ROBHBT.
She can do standing BHS.

One girl on the team cannot do standing BHS, but can do ROBHS

everyone is different.
weeks to months?
my DD cant do standing BT, but she can do ROBHBT.
She can do standing BHS.

One girl on the team cannot do standing BHS, but can do ROBHS

Mine can land a full but still can't do an aerial!!!!! LOL

And to answer the OP, I seriously have no idea because I don't know when the "start point" is and I believe that she is still improving her skills every day. She still works ROBHSBT during lines.

It's all about having the perfect Roundoff with a proper rebound... the rebound develops into the connected BHS ... with a proper rebound. Once the Roundoff Rebound becomes a perfect Roundoff BHS Rebound, the second BHS Rebound can be added. After that is perfected, the last rebound becomes the Set for the BT or BL or Full. After the BT is perfected, it is just a matter of learning to fly.
Every gymnast will be different. Fears or injuries can affect the time it takes. Good luck.

Like many people stated it is about the proper roundoff. It has to be scooped under to have a correct long back handspring and then once that is perfect, everything after that usually comes quickly.

DD says it is all in the "set" out of the BHS for BT, LO, or full. She says the set is key to height, which is key to full rotation and landing. Strong RO with rebound is the first piece.

The time it takes to get any of these skills depends greatly on the coaching and the amount of time the coaches have the kids put into working it.

Some people just can't twist well, take me for instance I could never do a back full, but I can't front 11/2 like nobody's business. I think it just depends on who you are.

Given the speedy progress she's made, how can you worry about something like connecting the round off bhs and then connecting that to the back tuck. Whoever taught her the skills she has now will be quite able to teach her the skills that come next. They may not be as easily learnt, but that's just the way this sport works.

Years because of my training. It was a while ago now, but maybe 4 to go from standing hand spring to full. Everything else in between is a bit fuzzy.
I had my standing handspring a while before I competed old 4, then I competed old 6 the next year with the RO BH BT pass, but could already do a layout, and I competed 7 the year after and could do a full, I just didn't compete it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back