WAG How many gymnasts can a one panel judge reasonably hold, in 4 hours?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymKatsMom

Coach
Proud Parent
We are having a local USAG sanctioned meet, want to get as many girls to compete as possible. But, because of our gym circumstances, we only have 4 hours to do it. All are level 4s.

Total of 4 judges or just 1? I will go based on just 1.

I know we had a 1 judge meet with 5 girls and it took a half hour (but they stretched before that)... so extrapolate that out to 10 an hour or 40 gymnasts MAX... but I think judges are supposed to get a break after so many hours (or judgements), so if you have fewer gymnasts, that would be better! And if stretching is counted in that time, then it would only be 3.5 hours or 35 gymnasts MAX. If you have fewer than that, it will be so much better / easier.

With fewer girls, you can have all the girls at one event then rotate them. If you have more than 12-20, split them into 4 groups, one on each event. If you have more than that, make groups of no more than 5 girls (max of 7-8 groups)... and do kind of a Flight A, Flight B thing... judge Flight A Bars, then Beam (flight B Bars warms up while judge has moved on)... have the judge rotate around.

SO MUCH easier if you just have 4 groups or less. You would have to keep the girls moving... after they compete one event, they get ready to warm up the next so by the time the judge is done with the first event, all but 1-2 are warmed up on the next event.

That is PER Session max. In my original scenario (with only 1 judge), you could have 2 sessions, with the first one lasting 2 hours (if you count stretching before event warmups), then give the judge a 15 minute break and have a 2nd session that was 1:45 (have them start stretching before session 1 is over)... That would get you around the 96 judgement max per session...
24 gymnasts = 96 judgements (so, each "session" can't exceed 24 gymnasts).
If you have 6 ready on each event, then you might be able to get in 24 in 2 hours... but 20 would probably be a safer bet.

Wow! I'm impressed. We do need a warm up, but i was thinking 16 would be too many, and yes, 1 judge that would have to rotate to each station. But I think maybe if we do like you said and split up into 4 rotations, So all warm ups will be done before the judge gets there? and hopefully we can have more than one coach! This is a parent/booster club ran event, with a coach as the meet director. Trying to figure out the best way to do this. Thanks...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back