Is it important to incorporate ballet into a gymnasts schedule?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

dancengym

If so, how many classes a week is a good number? Our gym does not offer any kind of dance classes. But I think my daughter would benefit from it. However, she does not want to take classes and finds ballet slow and boring. She is a 9 year old level 6, going level 7 maybe in a couple months. She qualified for the national tops testing this year. So, I think she is strong. She actually looks quite graceful but I think taking ballet will fine tune her dance skills. What do you think?

I think it is definitely helpful and a lot of gyms do it. But if she doesn't want to, I definitely wouldnt make her do it - that'll just make her hate it and maybe even gym too, if that's what she has to do it for.
Unless of course it's just a 'she just says no but doesnt even know what it would be like and she might actually like it if she tried" kinda thing. In which case giving it a go might be worth it.

But seriously, if the coaches aren't doing it, she probably won't consider it to be necessary, so is less likely to accept it. Therefore, don't force her to.
Her level of gym really doesn't have anything to do with it, either.

Well I think if she finds it slow and boring she won't get much out of it if you make her go. I think any activity should be chosen by the kid even if you think it could help. Does the gym say she needs to take dance outside of the gym? It really sounds like she is doing well without it. I would save my money until the coach says they would recommend her to take classes. Kids will do for the coach what they won't do for us mom's.

If she doesn't want to go, then I wouldn't force her. It could end up being a battle every week when dance class comes around. Also as someone else said, she may start resenting gym since thats the reason she doing dance. Sometimes we just have to back off a bit and let things go.

Thanks for all your responses. I have not pressured my dd at all. But I feel like I want to. I should lay off. In addition to improving her dance in gymnastics, I would also have loved to see her learn to truly dance. I thought of jazz, as shelovesthebars has recommended. However, there are really no decent dance studios out where we live, except for this one ballet studio. Oh well, . . . :(

Thanks for all your responses. I have not pressured my dd at all. But I feel like I want to. I should lay off. In addition to improving her dance in gymnastics, I would also have loved to see her learn to truly dance. I thought of jazz, as shelovesthebars has recommended. However, there are really no decent dance studios out where we live, except for this one ballet studio. Oh well, . . . :(

Don't go down the path of "one of those gym parents". Keep the main goal in mind. For me that is my DD totally enjoying what she is doing no matter what it is without any pressure to do more. Encouraging is another story. Of course all of us parents encourage our children and help them stick to it when we know they still love it but are having a small rough patch. But I have seen so many parents start that pressuring their child to the point their kids hate it and never want to do it again. i can remember several very talented kids that didn't make it to even L6 because at L4 and L5 the parents were all over them to the point the kids were crying when the mess up. Just remember its only gymnastics there is so much more important things out there that will really us parents to give that push they need.

When I was competing, my coaches hired a dance coach and we ended up implementing a half-hour block of ballet into our practices about three times a week. I think it really helped us to be able to present our floor and beam routines in a nicer, more graceful way, but to be honest there was no huge increase in scores for anyone. I definitely think ballet is beneficial in fine-tuning the dance skills and the grace, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. It is an extra, and it's great for girls who like dance as it is and want to take every extra step in improving their gymnastics. But, like everybody else said, if your daughter thinks ballet is boring (in contrast with gymnastics, it really can be quite slow and dull), I wouldn't force her. If she associates the ballet with the gymnastics, she might start to lose her love and her passion for the sport.

For girls who want to up the grace standard in their routines, I usually recommend watching videos of old gymnastics routines from the 1960s and 70s (so much more artistry back then!) or watching a ballet performance. I don't think they need to be classically trained to understand that there are ways they can make their arm movements look nicer and their hands softer and prettier. I think it's just a matter of being conscious of your body lines. Sometimes we gymnasts get all wrapped up in power and forget to look like a ballerina. :)

Thanks Hakunamatata. I guess that was the response I was looking for, how it affected the scores and how it benefits the gymnast. I just love dance and was hoping one of my kids would pick up that passion. So, far no takers! I'll give it up for the time being.

It all depends on how intense you train for gymnastics, as im sure someone already mentioned that. It helps you, when I was younger I took ballet and it helped me be more artistic even though I am more of a power gymnast

My 9 yo DD (level 5) has been taking ballet since June and I do see an improvement in her presentation, especially in her floor routine. It's noticeable. However, we haven't been to a meet yet this season so I can't speak to its effect on scores.;)

I will say that my DD is/was not the most naturalky graceful child in the world, nor is she a natural "performer" so for her I think the ballet training is a major plus. It is very tricky fitting it in to the schedule, though. She is only going one hour a week right now but she has an excellent teacher who is very hands-on and serious with the girls.

For someone like your DD who is already very strong and seems graceful it might not be as important to focus extra energy on ballet training...especially if she is not interested in it!:)

Good luck to your daughter this season!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back