Parents Kids who do both WAG and Tramp/tumbling?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

Mariainlv

Just curious, I did a search but didn't get much. As of yesterday J is gonna do both and I was wondering how thats worked for others?

Our gym has a T-N-T team but the kids are all WAY older than J (who is almost 7) She is currently in a dev group for WAG 3x a week and goes 1x a week to tumbling class. Since there is no one close to her age on the T N T team we will keep her just in the class and she will go to meets with the team.

There isn't much for T N T in Southern Nevada, all the meets are in So Cal so that will be interesting.

Would love to hear others experiences!

Just curious, I did a search but didn't get much. As of yesterday J is gonna do both and I was wondering how thats worked for others?

Our gym has a T-N-T team but the kids are all WAY older than J (who is almost 7) She is currently in a dev group for WAG 3x a week and goes 1x a week to tumbling class. Since there is no one close to her age on the T N T team we will keep her just in the class and she will go to meets with the team.

There isn't much for T N T in Southern Nevada, all the meets are in So Cal so that will be interesting.

Would love to hear others experiences!

One kid does TnT and the other does WAG. My son's TnT team has all ages on it, and they compete the little ones though we are not going to compete until he can do the L4 power tumbling passes. The coach was saying he could compete next month level 3 if I wanted, and I said no ... if it's OK we could just skip that.

We don't have much TnT in Georgia. I drive to a gym 45 minutes away. That's the closest to intown metro Atlanta.

I've never met a girl that does both competitive T & T and artistic gymnastics. I think there are several reasons for this. Once they get around L5 in the WAG system, they are spending alot of time in the gym and then weekends for meets. Trying to work in T & T would be alot----also alot of extra stress on the body plus money. My guess is that gymnastics coaches don't exactly encourage their girls to do it plus team.

I do know a number of girls that have left gymnastics and at least tried T & T---many didn't stay with it, but I know a few that are competing.

My guess is that gymnastics coaches don't exactly encourage their girls to do it plus team.

I do know a number of girls that have left gymnastics and at least tried T & T---many didn't stay with it, but I know a few that are competing.

Thanks for the input. J's coach has no issue, she actually encouraged the idea, saying J can continue to have fun tumbling while getting up to par on the other events. J has level 6 flooor skills but only has level 4 bars and vault. We will see how it works. She is at the gym 9 hrs a week for wag and 1 hr for T n T but we are going to go to 2 hrs a week for T n T. But realistically the T n T she would be doing at home anyway as we have a trampoline and she is on it constantly.

Emorymom, thanks for the info!

But realistically the T n T she would be doing at home anyway as we have a trampoline and she is on it constantly.

I would be VERY careful of tumbling on the tramp at home just for safety and consistancies sake. Kids can pick up really bad habits and form problems when they are left "to play around at home". My dd developed some really bad habits with the back handspring on the tramp at home (that we USED to have and I am glad we don't have anymore) which escalated into a fear/mental block that she has been dealing with for the past 2 years (she is 10 now). I am not saying that tumbling at home or on the tramp CAUSED this but it did play a major part. Since your daughter is young (she is 6 right?), she should be supervised at the gym and should really limit her tumbling at home. Just speaking from experience!! Good luck with the T and T and the gymnastics! Sounds like she loves it a lot!

My dd competes gymnastics and power tumbling, but our gym doesn't offer trampoline or double mini...

Here's how it works for us. My dd is on the gymnastics team. Competes level 3, but working Level 5. She also competes sub novice tumbling (USTA and AAU sanctioned) She trains in the gym 9 hours/wk for gymnastics. She is 5 years old and will turn 6 in december.

All of the kids on the "tumbling team" are also on the "gymnastics team" as our gym doesn't offer any tumbling classes whatsoever. Since tumbling is a part of gymnastics, the "tumble teamers" train their passes during regular gym time. Basically, the rod floor is treated a regular event. The gymnasts who don't compete tumbling, still train tumbling but not required "passes".

It seems to work well - In may when our girls competed at USTA state, there were 17 girls that competed from our team, and our gym brought home 9 state champions (ranging in levels from beginner tumbling to advanced tumbling) They also brought home 6 USTA national champions - not too bad :)

However, our gym is not currently competing USAG. But, we compete nonsanctioned meets against teams who do compete USAG. For the USAG teams, these nonsanctioned meets are "fun" meets, but for us they are the "real thing" for now. Our gymnast do well at these meets, i think. There are several teams there, and they usually bring home lots 1, 2, and 3 place medals and all around trophies...and there are alway lots of stars going up on the 9.0 board.

So, the difference might be that we aren't competing usag...I don't know.

My dd competes gymnastics and power tumbling, but our gym doesn't offer trampoline or double mini...

Here's how it works for us. My dd is on the gymnastics team. Competes level 3, but working Level 5. She also competes sub novice tumbling (USTA and AAU sanctioned) She trains in the gym 9 hours/wk for gymnastics. She is 5 years old and will turn 6 in december.

All of the kids on the "tumbling team" are also on the "gymnastics team" as our gym doesn't offer any tumbling classes whatsoever. Since tumbling is a part of gymnastics, the "tumble teamers" train their passes during regular gym time. Basically, the rod floor is treated a regular event. The gymnasts who don't compete tumbling, still train tumbling but not required "passes".

It seems to work well - In may when our girls competed at USTA state, there were 17 girls that competed from our team, and our gym brought home 9 state champions (ranging in levels from beginner tumbling to advanced tumbling) They also brought home 6 USTA national champions - not too bad :)

However, our gym is not currently competing USAG. But, we compete nonsanctioned meets against teams who do compete USAG. For the USAG teams, these nonsanctioned meets are "fun" meets, but for us they are the "real thing" for now. Our gymnast do well at these meets, i think. There are several teams there, and they usually bring home lots 1, 2, and 3 place medals and all around trophies...and there are alway lots of stars going up on the 9.0 board.

Thanks for the info. Your DD sounds awesome! J will be 7 in Dec, so fairly close in age. She also trains L3 and will start competing in the spring. Im not sure what we will do in the summer when she moves to team but I think we will stay the same since the hours are conducive still to J doing both. There is no USTA or AAU locally, wish there was. There isnt any USAG TnT either but NV falls under CA. Sounds like J and your DD are in similar situations age wise. Still early enough to have fun with both.

Her team has tramp and power tumbling only, no DM.

As far as J practicing at home, she is practicing the tramp routine the coach told her to practice?:confused: I will talk to him tonight and get clarification. Its a good point that she shouldnt be practicing poor form at home.

Last edited by a moderator:

I might have been a little unclear...these unsanctioned meets that i was talking about are gymnastics meets. Our gym does not compete usag TnT or usag gymnastics.

The point i was trying to make with this is that we dont compete sanctioned usag gymnastics meets, only unsanctioned....so I was thinking that maybe if we were competing usag gymnastics meets, it might or might not be more difficult to work in the 15-30 minutes of tumbling time per practice...I don't know.

i probably still make no sense :rolleyes:

My DD is a little older (13), but at USTA Nationals she competes against girls from other states that also compete in gymnastics. My daughter competes at the advanced/elite level and I've seen some very high scores from girls that do both. I have also seen girls quit gymnastics to pursue tramp & tumbling. Some of the girls that are currently on the USTA National team started in gymnastics and switched or compete in both. I think it is an advantage if they can do both, but location-wise it isn't a choice for us. Good luck in whatever you choose!

For what it's worth -- My DD does WAG (L4), and also does adv. tumble class one day a week just for fun (non-competitive). If your dd can afford the time and you the expense, It helps!

Sometimes the competitive and repetitive nature of WAG spoils the fun. Tumble gives back that little something with zero pressure to perform. She loves it. Admitting, She enjoys 'show-off' factor a bit too. I mean, not a whole lot of L4's are trying to land an Arabian, or even know what an Arabian is for that matter.

This schedule most likely won't last into L5 due to the number of hours that L5's train. Nastia of course will disagree, but she requires downtime. She needs rest. Time for friends and school. Time for anything BUT gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back