Level 2

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am on my gym's rec team and levels were posted for the girls the other night, and I was very surprised (to say the least) to see that I was level 1. My two other besties were on level 2. :( I can do tons of things that they cannot do, but I can't do a back hip circle and neither can my other bestie...... Here are the skills I have:
Floor
Forward roll
backward roll into push-up position
Handstand forward roll
Handstand bridge
Bridge w/ leg straight or bent
Bridge with on leg up
Backbend
Perfect candle
Perfect Handstand
Perfect Cartwheel
Press to handstand
Straight jump
Tuck jump
Split jump
Almost perfect roundoff with rebound

Vault
squat on
Forward roll
Handstand over
handstand push-off

Beam
all of the walks
lever
cartwheel side handstand dismount
leap
straight jump
Tuck jump
v-sit mount

Bars
piked glide
front support
pullover
leg cut
leg cheat
leg cheat backward
pinwheel hold
and the skill where you are in front support position and lean forward and then your legs come off the bar......

Which level should i be in? is my coach being unfair? Tips on how to get my back hip circle?

Hmm, it sounds like you should do level 2 maybe 3, but maybe your coach is doing what my coach does to me for beam. I'm in high school so half way through the year my coach will switch me from varsity to jv for a meet or two and then for sectionals move me back to varstiy. Then puts me first in line up because my confidence is built up from doing good on jv that I'm more solid on beam than before. So maybe your coach is just trying to build your confidence by having you do a level lower than you are.

It could also be based on other things besides just having the skill..form for example. I say trust your coaches--they know what they're doing--and just keep working hard and you'll move up eventually.

I think you're right fliptwisttwirl, i don't have the best form on some stuff...... plus when i do the level 1 routines at the upcoming meet, at least i can get a higher score than i would on level 2!!! maybe i'll get gold! :)

ok, gymgirl, i'm almost positive that you're right...... 'cause at the meet I got all-around silver and then for individual event i got:

Vault: tied for first with a score of 9.9
Bars: I did surprisingly good..... got silver w/ a score of 9.7
Beam (ugh!): FAILED.... got a score of 7.0 (and put me out of the running for first place)
Floor: I was surprised with my score b/c floor is TOTALLY my best event.... 9.0

Well in my opinion you should be in'level two or three. Your gymnastics skills, aside from the back hip, would be'a level five, bu I am not sure if you have your kip. But that is just me. If I were your coach, I would move you to level two. You are awesome a gymnastics!

I was stuck on a level for a while too, and I was totally frustrated over it! But repeating the level made me a stronger gymnast and it's definitely important to have all basic skills down strong. Trust your coach because he/ she definitely knows what they're doing! Great job on your meet btw! :)

Thx! I'm glad that you guys think that I am level two worthy! Now i am on level two , except I don't have the BHC..... But I definitely don't have my kip....

You won't be able to level further until getting your back hip circle or a good round off. Also you need to be able to have good form in your conditioning and in all your skills and drills.

Also if you think in the future you might want to compete, I want to warn that it will be MUCH tougher than a rec meet or a meet that your gym holds just for its own girls. A lot of girls thought it would be easy to get nines in competition without really trying because they were always getting high nines and were always on the podium for awards at our gym rec meets that are pretty much just for fun. However at their first real meet they got low eights and rarely placed. However by the end of the season they were winning all of the first place team awards due to their massive improvement

At the first meet, it was easy. At the last meet, the judges got MUCH tougher and barely anybody got anything above a nine. Before I even CONTEMPLATE a kip, I have to get my BHC (now have a perfect roundoff) and a bunch of level 3 stuff first.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back