Parents Level 4 question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Stephanie Bishop

Proud Parent
Hi All,

My daughter is Level 4 (just turned 9) and just finished up her meet season with a 35.5 at States. Her coach just informed us she'd like to move her over from the JO program to Prep Op. The reason being she states "she's not focused enough and she's not sure she has the dedication it takes". Daughter is devastated at the thought of leaving her team who are all now starting level 5 conditioning. I suggested repeating Level 4 but they thought she'd be bored? Daughter has all the skills and does not struggle with the movements at all, just her focus. I believe the coach may have to ask her multiple times to point toes/straight legs etc.) I'm hesitant to make such a big move at such a young age. Should we insist that she be given a bit more time? Thanks in advance!!

Well, first of all, your coach should be calling it Xcel, not prep op. It has been nationalized for long enough by now.
Second, your daughter is scoring high enough that she should be allowed to try for Level 5.
I agree she would be boredif she repeated Level 4 without any possibility of training for Level 5.
NOTE: Allowing her to try for Level 5 and determining by the cut off date set by the gym that she isn't ready and then having her compete Level 4 again is different... Because in most gyms, deciding now to repeat would mean she would train with up and coming 4s who are still learning the skills she has.

If you do go the Xcel route, the rules would put her in Gold... Where she CAN compete the Level 5 skills, but have better music and not have to worry about text errors :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back