WAG Level 6 Floor & beam question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymnastMomX2

Proud Parent
My DD had her first level 6 meet this weekend, my husband and I both thought she fell coming out of her side leap (after her first tumbling pass). When I asked her she said she's supposed to roll on the floor like that, but am I wrong in thinking she got deducted for a fall there?? She scored a 8.35 on the routine. After I showed her the video she did admit it looked like a fall.

Also, what could be wrong/missing from a level 6 beam routine to have a 9.9 SV?

She ended up with a 9 on bars and a 35.1 AA, so she was happy regardless of the floor issue. Considering when we first came here (we Moved from another state) a few months ago coaches weren't sure she would be ready to compete at all.

If she has a 9.9 SV on beam, she is probably missing one required "A" skill.

On floor, I do think that looks like a fall.

On floor, it only looked like a fall because of how little time was spent on the floor... it looked like she was "covering up" the fall. Also, there were a lot of form issues - flexed feet, leg separations, etc.
a 9.9 SV means an A skill was missing. They are required to have 5 A's and 1 B on each event.
A 35+ AA sounds good to me :)

Her dismount should count. What is in her beam routine?

Ha, as I was typing out her skills I realized what was missing. They pulled her front walkover from her routine because she missed her foot last week at practice and hasn't done it consistently since. So yes, she is missing a skill. Thanks!

Ha, as I was typing out her skills I realized what was missing. They pulled her front walkover from her routine because she missed her foot last week at practice and hasn't done it consistently since. So yes, she is missing a skill. Thanks!

Glad to help! Good luck to her this season. Sounds like a solid start!

Just thought I'd add, if she needs an A to use at meets until she gets the front walkover back, a straight jump is probably the easiest & cleanest way to add one. She can just add it to her jump/jump series. For the "fall" on floor, if she'd pause, even slightly, & control it to the floor it would look much better. Just think of the old compulsory level 6 floor routine. Make the slide to floor a deliberate motion.

Just thought I'd add, if she needs an A to use at meets until she gets the front walkover back, a straight jump is probably the easiest & cleanest way to add one. She can just add it to her jump/jump series. For the "fall" on floor, if she'd pause, even slightly, & control it to the floor it would look much better. Just think of the old compulsory level 6 floor routine. Make the slide to floor a deliberate motion.

Good points, and I think after she saw herself on video on floor she will be able to easily fix that. I'll just leave it to her and the coaches to sort out the beam routine. I was more curious than anything :)

Seems like the coaches should put some arm gestures or something after that roll so it is obvious that she was supposed to do that because I agree with what everyone else says....looks like a fall. Even if that didn't contribute to her score, it has the potential to do so.

She most likely got a smaller deduction for lack of control. But she has a lot of tumbling and leg form deductions, enough to total 1.7, so I don't think they took a fall there. I hope this doesn't seem harsh, I just want to provide an accurate picture of what is contributing to her score. For example, her round offs don't pass through vertical. This is a deductions just on the round off. Not counting the handsprings and saltos.

She most likely got a smaller deduction for lack of control. But she has a lot of tumbling and leg form deductions, enough to total 1.7, so I don't think they took a fall there. I hope this doesn't seem harsh, I just want to provide an accurate picture of what is contributing to her score. For example, her round offs don't pass through vertical. This is a deductions just on the round off. Not counting the handsprings and saltos.

Not harsh at all, this was my first time seeing the routine. They had an in-house practice meet with judges a couple weeks ago and she scored a 9.05 on floor, although I have no idea if the judges were scoring easier or if she was just off yesterday since we didn't watch. All her other scores were higher than what she got at the practice meet, so who knows. I'm sure her coaches will address the form issues. Thanks for looking! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back