Level 6 - sole circle help??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

stargazer

Gymnast
I am having a really hard time with my sole-circle on bars. I don't have the best grip strength and I feel like I'm going to peel off the bar when I do them (I only have once, but my heart leaps everytime I go for it). I'll do them but they scare me quite a bit. So they're really on and off depending on how 'tired' my wrists are and how brave I'm feeling that day :rolleyes:. Aside from grip-strengthening exercises, does anyone have any tips on how to improve my sole-circles quickly? Or if you've had a gymnasts experience this, what helped them get over the fear and get the skill? I would really appreciate any input as my coach and I have been considering having me compete Level 6 for my upcoming competition (in a month). I am in the Invitational Program, but I will be competing Masters. To be honest it's a long shot and if I'm not ready I'll just compete Level 5, but I would love to get the skills anyways!

You don't need a sole circle for USAG JO level 6. I'm not exactly sure how your hands are peeling off during this skill...make sure the balls of your feet are on the bar and swing hard, and you should be fine. As long as you're not doing anything really strange like sticking your head out, you'll stay on the bar - you stay on during a clear hip, don't you? If you just remind yourself of all the times that you've done it without falling, it might help you feel more confident.

need a video. and sole circles are not a part of our compulsory program.

I'll get a video if I can. I'm in Ontario so we don't use the USAG system, and I have to have a circling skill. I've tried clear hips a grand total of 2 times while goofing around, and I've at least gotten sole-circles periodically so I figured I'd continue practicing those. Mack-the-Ripper, I don't peel off during clear hips, but have you ever swung on the bar and it feels slippery/not very 'grippy'? That's what it feels like on sole-circles.

Try experimenting with your wrist positioning. Some girls who worry about peeling hold their hands at the top of the bar because they think it gives them more time to slide their hands as they hit max gravity. What really happens is their hands jerk at the bottom of the swing when they can no longer hold the bent wrist position (think basket ball shot follow thru). Less jerk equals more grip. The same thing is true if you are not pushing the bar away from your hips with all pushing parts you can think of. I think your arms, legs, and stomach muscles can be involved in a pushing action, so try that with your coach's blessing and supervision.

Iwannacoach your advice sounds really helpful, but I'm not entirely sure I can visualize what you're saying. When I put my feet on the bar, I re-grip further (down?) around the bar before I start 'falling' into the sole-circle. Are you saying I shouldn't be doing this? And yes, thanks for the reminder about pushing away from the bar, I do forget to do that sometimes when I'm worrying about my hands.

I will try to get a video up if I can remember to bring my camera to the next practice.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back