Level 7

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

T

Thegymgirls

This summer I came almost everyday when every practice was optional and I was training for level 7. I came to practice in the beginning of the year and they put me in the prep op group. I've been doing prep op for 4 years now and I'm sick of it and I really wanted to do level 7. They told me I wasn't good enough and that I should stay in prep op while this other girl who didn't come at all over the summer and who's worse then me gets to do level 7. I can do...
Vault: good fhs, half on half off
Bars: free hip to above horizontal, cast 3/4 handstand, almost layout fly away and I'm working giants
Beam: bhs on high beam, 2 bwrs
Floor: layout with a spot, almost front front

The other girl can do...

Vault: same
Bars: no free hip, cast to below horizontal, flyaway
Beam: cartwheel cartwheel, bhs with a spot on low beam
Floor: layout, front tuck

I think this is so unfair and I'm so sad about it. Do you think I could have done level 7?

It sounds like you are unhappy with your coach or gym(maybe both). Have you spoken with them? Our gym automaticly puts highschoolers in the prep-op program if they do not score high out of level 6 before they reach highschool. I think it is part of some selection process(a or b track). Maybe you should talk to them about your goals. If your intrests and their intrests aren't the same maybe you should look for a gym that is. In our area there are plenty of gyms and although, I think gymnasts should only compete at the level that is safe,you should go to where you will get the most out of all that hard work. I have seen clubs that have ideas of who they want on a team and who they do not.

I think the coaches know best. It's not always about the skills you can do. Being a team player, having the right mental attitude and so much more can go into moving up. if your not happy then talk to the coaches and see what they say you need to improve to move up. Maybe you can do a lower compulsory level to get into the JO team. Other than that you might want to consider getting evalulated at another gym. What one gym doesn't think is good enough another gym might think is just what they are looking for.

My big question what do you think you will get out of L7 that you aren't getting out of Prep Op

The other girl's skills are level 7 skills(with the exception of beam, I'm a guy so I don't know.). But it sounds like she can't do them, or her lower level skills, very well. But in the end that's coach's call, I suppose.

Oh, and you're at level 6.
Don't know about vault or beam, but for floor, you NEED a back layout. and for level 7 bars you NEED to have your giants and flyaways without help/a lot of spotting.

Don't worry, you'll get it sooner or later! :)

You do not need giants for L7 My DD does some other move and scores usually in 1st or 2nd place. she has done flyaways and tucks too and stil scores in the top 2. there are some gyms that require it of their L7 gymnasts but USAG doesn't require it.

Here are the rules You want to go to Pg 28 to see the requirements
:: USA Gymnastics :: Home Page :: and Policies/2011_2012_w_rulespolicies.pdf

VAULT

Group 1 Handspring/Yama****a vaults that have no more than 360° in one flight phase & no more than 540° turn in total.
Refer to Level 7 Vault chart. All allowable vaults are worth 10.0

"Only “Aâ€￾ & “Bâ€￾ elements are allowed. Only the following “Câ€￾ elements on UB are allowed & receive “Bâ€￾ credit: Cast Handstand ½ turn, Clear hip circle/Back stalder /Pike sole circle bkwd. to HS, also with ½ turn

BARS

1. 1 cast - minimum of 45° from vertical

2. & 3. Two 360° clear circling elements, same or different (no hips on bar)

- one must be a “Bâ€￾

- one from Group 3, 6, or 7

4. Salto dismount, minimum A

BEAM

1a. Acro series with a min. of two A or B elements with or without flight,

AND

1b. One acro flight element (may be included in series)

(All elements must start & finish on beam.)

2. One leap/jump requiring 180° split (Isolated or in a series)

3. Minimum of 360° turn on one foot (Isolated or in a series)

4. Aerial or salto dismount, min. A

FLOOR

1. One acro series (3 or more flight elements) which includes a back salto stretched to 2 feet (Back layout)

2. A direct connection of two or more forward acro elements with flight.

- One element must be a salto or an aerial.

3. Dance Passage w/ min. of 2 different Group 1 elements (directly or indirectly connected)
- one a LEAP w/ 180° cross or side split

4. Minimum of 360° turn on one foot (May be isolated or in a series)

You need to talk to your coach...I know it seems obvious that you want to do L7, but your coach may think you are happy doing prep op. It seems like you aren't sure what exactly you need to get in order to level 7, or why they didn't let you, so you should ask for clarification. You can just say, "Hey coach, what skills do I need to get to do level 7?" because that's what you're asking here.

From what I can see from your skills...you need to be able to do a cast handstand and either a clear hip to 45 degrees above horizontal OR a giant. You also need to be able to connect your giant/clear hip on the high bar to a flyaway, which is scary for a lot of kids.

You mention a BWO-BWO connection on beam but that is a very tricky connection...you need to make sure you will get credit for that connection or learn a BWO-BHS. It doesn't have to be totally consistent at the beginning of the season, of course.

I assume your layout on floor is backwards - you definitely need that at level 7. You also need to either have your front-front consistently enough that you can do it in a routine OR a front handspring front tuck OR a front tuck front handspring, either stepout or with feet together.

As for vault, a half on-half off is not a very useful vault if you think you'll someday be doing higher level vaults - you would be better off working a handspring full or a flipping vault. A handspring is fine at level 7.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back