WAG Level question - please help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kayjaybe

Proud Parent
My dd is really struggling and I'm looking for some guidance.

She competed L6 last year. She did not have a great season, but she qualified for states (and thus got her mobility score.) She's struggling with some fear issues on the beam working her BWO-BHS and doesn't quite have her giant on the bars (but is really close).

A coach told her yesterday that she is training L5 (new 5), which really upset her. We are definitely not sure she would move to L7, but if she competed old 6 last year, is there any reason skill-wise that she wouldn't be new 6 this year? What skills are needed for new 6 that weren't in old 6?

I don't know if the coach told her that (about training 5) because it was true or because she was frustrated with dd and thought it might motivate her. (It had the exact opposite effect.)

Different gyms will have different rules for the new level 6--your gym might not be competing it at all. THe new level 5 is sort of like the old 6, so it's NOT moving down levels--just staying the same. Many gyms are letting the girls who don't have giants compete the new 6, instead of 7, but that's not true at all gyms.

In your case, ask for a meeting with the HC to clarify what the plan is for her.

I wouldn't worry. with the new levels a lot of kids feel like they were put back a level but that's not the case. If he's having her do new L5(old L6) It will give her time to hon in on the skills she's struggling with i.e.; giants and BWO BHS. Our gym might skip the new level 6- I guess a lot of coaches think its a waste if time. In any case if your daughter did an old L6 meet last year she still qualified (at least a 31:00) to make that jump up to 7 when she's mastered the skills. Since she's already trying these skills it's just a matter of time before she gets it:)

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket mobile app

We had a "bump up" meet at our gym for kids that didn't do an old level 6 meet before the change. By doing that one meet the girls became optional.

Thanks, all. I just spoke with the HC (love him!) and he was very helpful. My dd tends to stress herself out over these things even though I keep telling her to just work the skills & do her best and she'll be placed where she best fits.

Anyway, HC thinks she is very close to the skills physically but isn't there mentally yet (so true!). He said it might benefit her to do one more year of compulsory, but if it "clicks," she could move mid-year or even closer to the first meet. (Our first meet isn't until December, so there is plenty of time.)

I'm glad that he is open and doesn't have her locked into anything - that way there is no pressure coming from the gym to do a certain thing. (Not to say she doesn't put pressure on herself!) He is going to try to say some encouraging words to her at practice today, so hopefully that will help.

Thanks, all. I just spoke with the HC (love him!) and he was very helpful. My dd tends to stress herself out over these things even though I keep telling her to just work the skills & do her best and she'll be placed where she best fits.

Anyway, HC thinks she is very close to the skills physically but isn't there mentally yet (so true!). He said it might benefit her to do one more year of compulsory, but if it "clicks," she could move mid-year or even closer to the first meet. (Our first meet isn't until December, so there is plenty of time.)

I'm glad that he is open and doesn't have her locked into anything - that way there is no pressure coming from the gym to do a certain thing. (Not to say she doesn't put pressure on herself!) He is going to try to say some encouraging words to her at practice today, so hopefully that will help.

Awesome;)

Keep in mind new L5 is OLD level 6 at least skill wise. Also just because someone gets a mobility score doesn't mean they are ready to move up. You said your DD had some mental blocks and that is huge in gymnastics. Another year at the level with the skills she has been working on (old 6 new 5) could give her the confidence she needs too. She should have a really strong year repeating. Also all the coaches I know say if they have their skills to move up mid season they will move them up but I think in 15 years of warming bleachers I've only seen this once or twice so be prepared to do that level. Really though would you want your DD to move to a level where she is struggling most of the season or would you rather have her at a level where she can perfect her skills, do really well and be really ready next year for Optionals.

Thanks, Gymbee. I totally agree that she should be where she best fits, and that may very well be in L5. While she knows that L5 is like old L6, so it isn't moving back, that is really tough for a kid to truly believe in their heart. To an 11 yo, it still feels like moving back, especially when many of her friends will be moving on and likely doing L7.

I do think she needs a strong year to get her confidence back, whether that year is called L5 or L6 or Lzebra.

New level 6 doesn't seem like much of a jump from old level 6 though - from reading the requirements, it seems like only a half-level jump at most. I'm pretty sure your DD could put together routines that met the minimum and didn't involve giants or BWO BHS series, especially if the first meet isn't until December! I guess it wouldn't work if the gym decided not to compete level 6 at all, but as long as level 6 is on the table I don't see why your DD couldn't do it. I am not a coach or judge (and therefore no expert) but I have read the new requirements and I have talked to DD's coach. I figure if my DD can do it, anyone can!

Lzebra! I love it! I thought it would be the parents who would have the hard time with the new levels, but my daughter insists no one wants to "go down a level". Sigh. Spare me the dama of pre-teens!

She came home from practice in much better spirits today and said she had a good practice. Not sure what happened or what the HC might have said, but glad my baby isn't in tears again tonight. :heart:

She came home from practice in much better spirits today and said she had a good practice. Not sure what happened or what the HC might have said, but glad my baby isn't in tears again tonight. :heart:

How has she been?

My DD is competing new 6 this year, and I am very concerned. Bar requirements for optionals are tougher than compulsories, so I'm not sure how she's going to do.

Her coaches made the decision, so I have to trust them. But once the kids start getting deductions for not having value parts, then deductions for execution, yikes !

My DD is competing new 6 this year, and I am very concerned. Bar requirements for optionals are tougher than compulsories, so I'm not sure how she's going to do.

Her coaches made the decision, so I have to trust them. But once the kids start getting deductions for not having value parts, then deductions for execution, yikes !
Based on MINIMUM Requirements for New L6, If she competed old L6 last year, then she should be fine. 5 A's and 1 B... and a clear hip to ABOVE horizontal counts as a B or a cast handstand...
SR: 1. Cast to a minimum of Horizontal (was in old L6)
2. One bar change (was in old L5 and L6)
3. One element from group 3, 6, or 7 (pretty sure this is the circling skills)
4. Dismount, minimum of an A (Flyaway from old L6 is an A)

If she is only missing the B, her routine would just be out of a 9.7 instead of a 10.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back