WAG List of Specific, Constructive Suggestions for USA Gymnastics to Implement

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

No matter how many rules are put into place, it will not prevent that type of thing from happening. IMO the gymnasts need to be educated better on what a doctor/physical therapist/coach/... may or may not say or do. And doctors/PTs/coaches/... need to be educated better as well.

I remember feeling super embarrassed as a (pre-)teen when (well-meaning) adults probed me about my experience with boys. Although these instances were rather innocent and simply based on observations of a boy "liking" me and wanting to "go out" with me, they made me feel highly uncomfortable. At the same time I was taught that I should be ok with these questions and I felt that something must be wrong with me for feeling embarrassed. If you are super stingy, these kind of questions could already be, in a way, regarded as sexual harrassment. This is also the same age when, as a girl, you have to wrap your head around the fact that you will have to see a gynecologist at some point in your future. I think Nassar getting away with what he did for such a long time, has got a lot to do with the fact that girls felt they were not supposed to feel embarrassed by what he did, because after all, he's a doctor and as a female you will have to see a doctor who touches you "there" at least once a year for the rest of your life anyways.

So....although I believe USAG needs to change a few things that will make it harder for things like these to happen, the #1 priority should be on educating everyone involved in the national team camp system.

BTW....going by the huge number of gymnasts who received his "special treatment", some of the gymnasts who supported Nassar on his FB initially, must be among the victims. This is just speculation but it is very likely. I wonder if they realize now that what he did was neither normal nor necessary...

I imagine it's incredibly hard with the turnover in athletes attending camps, but is there any kind of orientation for athletes invited to camps? For the younger athletes at developmental camps you would absolutely want parents involved, which I'm sure would be an inconvenience for USAG, but helpful in preventing future incidents. Just letting them know the purpose of the camps, the services provided, the camp schedule, protocols for illness/injury, general camp rules and guidelines. Also giving parents information on who to contact if there is a problem and how to prepare their children for attending camps. The older athletes can be given that information themselves- their rights as an athlete, to immediately report anything that doesn't feel right and who to report it to, no coaches/doctors/other staff to enter their cabins, etc.
I think a similar meeting for coaches empowering them to be a voice for their athletes would also be helpful as I imagine some coaches keep quiet when an issue arises out of fear of ruining their athletes chances of making a future team. So giving them avenues to report any questions or concerns in a safe, and anonymous if necessary, way.

I think moving camps to a more accessible location would be beneficial, just in terms of greater transparency. There would also be the added benefit of additional resources if they moved to a place like the USOTC- nutritionists, sports psychologists, etc. And these individuals would not be under the thumb of the USAG elite program as they have been in the past. I can imagine there is a sort of filter among coaches and athletes in speaking to anyone at the ranch out of fear that it will get back to the people who select major teams.

I think some form of chaperone and/or athlete advocate would be a positive step. I know they have had individuals in an athlete advocate position in the past, not sure if they still do, but I feel like they have typically been former elites who have found success in the system and have bought in. Maybe not necessarily the person who would stand up for the needs of an athlete to the same people who brought them so much success. And I'm not sure how involved those individuals have been in the ins and outs of camps and traveling to meets. I think having someone at camps, traveling to meets, in the gyms, and available to hear athlete/coach concerns with a direct avenue to report them to someone other than the national team coordinator would be helpful.

My child does GB camps.
The camps are strictly no parent. I have said this before but they do it as part of their welfare, they know which kids will be fine travelling to internationals, which ones will get homesick. They also teach them about packing and kit responsibility, eating right when faced with hotel food, resting etc.

This puzzles me. I am certainly able to teach my kid how to pack, eat and rest. We travel a bunch as a family (former Marriott platinum member, I have travel down), sometimes even for gym. and manage just fine with out being "taught". In fact Im sure I can do it better then anyone else when it comes to my kid. I know her best.

It saddens and horrifies me that sexual abuse of vulnerable children continues. When will organizations that work with kids learn from the mistakes of other groups, rather than leaving situations open for abuse?

The Scouts have 2 deep leadership rules. Our schools have rules regarding staff being alone with children. The catholic Church requires background checks, seminars for volunteers and for kids to never be alone with an adult working or volunteering for them.

All of these organuzatuons have had horrible abuse scandals. It is time for every group working with kids to put these safeguards into place.

No adult in a position of power over a child should ever be alone with them. This protects the child from abuse and the adult from accusations of abuse.

There is no good reason I can think of for a coach, doctor or other gymnastics authority to be alone with a child.

Moving the training facilities to a centralized and more accessible location would be great for families and athletes and provide USAG some needed transparency. But....at least as of July 2016 USAG entered into an agreement to purchase most of Karolyi Ranch. Has that deal been finalized? If so, good luck with USAG even considering pulling stakes.

Giving parents (& athletes), who are actual stakeholders by virtue of membership, a meaningful and constructive seat at the table, would be a welcome gesture.

Are there parent reps (like there are athlete reps) on USAG? Funny thing is that one would think that by putting the camp in an area that is secluded rather than a bustling city or large int'l airport hub, perhaps would actually serve to increase the safety of the kids (like sleep away camp)....but then there's all of this.

Maybe the answer really should be to sort of start over. Really, there should not be any need for a non-emergent doctor's visit during a week of camp. And all PT should be done in the open.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back