new 2009 COP

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

kgymn

Gymnast
Has anyone else taken a look at it? It's up on the FIG website in English. I'm sure there will be revisions but there always are. Any thoughts? I'm currently starting to look through it, and I'll admit I'm not knowledgeable with the current code so I've got little clue what is changed.

Just wondering if anyone else has taken a peak, and has any comments on it :)

~Katy

Probably the biggest change is that they are now counting only the top 8 difficulty elements into the start value of the routine instead of the top 10. More emphasis on a few really good elements instead of trying to get as many hard elements into the rourinte as possible.

Another big difference is the increase in deduction for a fall. Gymnasts will now loose 1 full point for a fall in their routine, instead of 0.8 as it was in the old code. Basically it means a fall will ake it impossible to score well. In some ways this is quite positive because under the old code gymnasts were losing as much for landing deductions and things as they were for a fall.

The element group requirements have also changed on each apparatus to make it more difficult. I think the changes are very appropriate for the level of competition. On bars they have added more difficulty, the flight from low bars to high bar and high bar to low bar are now the same EGR. So under the old code they got an extra 0.5 for a low to high flight and then another 0.5 for a high to low flight. Now they will only be paid 0.5 once for having both flights. Under the new code they now must also do elements that are both forward and backward on bars, they must also do a minimum of a 360 degree handstand pirouette. So yes the code is harder, but most gymnasts at this levek are doing this anyway.

There are no changes to the EGR on beam from the old code. there are a few changes on floor. In the old code the dance passage only needed to contain 2 different leaps, it now has to contain 3 different leaps.

There are also a few changes to the skills in the code of points. Some skills that were taken out of the old code have now been put back in. For example a hanstand on beam is now an A element.

There are no changes to the EGR on beam from the old code. there are a few changes on floor. In the old code the dance passage only needed to contain 2 different leaps, it now has to contain 3 different leaps.

And they all need to be a front/back split don't they?? ..... so no change leg side or side 1/2 leaps can be included in this series....

Now that I have looked at it some more, my first reaction from a fan perspective is I think it'll be annoying having just gotten used to the current routine values getting used to new, lower values (much like 8 years ago leaving everyone wondering why scores were so low because difficulty was being figured in differently

But on the plus side, I like that they are emphasizing doing fewer skills better. They are also having the code requirements back up the desire for more artistry and less sheer acrobatics, on both beam and floor the Content/Construction is requiring more dance elements. There's a maximum of 5 acro elements for Difficulty Value and a minimum of 3 dance elements.

~Katy

And they all need to be a front/back split don't they?? ..... so no change leg side or side 1/2 leaps can be included in this series....

Only 1 of the leaps needs to have a fwd/bwd split. So for example a leap series could be - cat leap full - change leg split leap, change leg side leap.

Or ring leap, split leap, side leap.

Or any series as long as the three leaps are different and at least 1 has the split.

The full point for a fall should change things up a bit too. Should keep fallers off the podium. However in countries like ours that use the FIG COP for their programmes it is going to give some ugly scores!

Ok... balance beam acro connection value... who can explain to me which C/D + D gets .1 and which C/D + D gets .2? I'm utterly confused.

~Katy

We also use the FIG COP in our programmes so it will be interesting to see how these changes affect our level 1-10 programmes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back