Question about judging

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

shelovestoflip

Proud Parent
Well, I'm not sure that I gave this the correct title...but I wonder if, while judging is technically objective, any of you (judges in particular) find that it can be subjective when it comes to girls from gyms that are fast track/elite gyms in comparison to excellent gyms but ones that don't have girls at the fast track/elite level.

I live where there is an elite gym and many fast track gyms...girls at those gyms make the TOPS team, train for elite and Olympic competition hopefuls! Our gym is really great....and girls have gone to Regionals and Easterns but since we've been there not Nationals.

We go to meets and our girls hold their own overall. However sometimes I think that when the girls from 'those gyms' come out, in their well known leotards, they have an advantage just because of the color of the leos!

I'm not at all saying that some of their girls arent' great (this is Level 5/6 we're talking about) and as I said, our girls hold their own and about half our team always places, and today in fact two girls took home 1st in their age division.

Just wondered what people thought as today there were a number of girls who seemed to do well, but when 'x color' came out, the numbers seemed to get higher!!

Any thoughts?

I don't know the answer to that, but I've often wondered that sometimes too. I know as a spectator I have an "expectation" that all the girls from a gym will be really great because they usually are. I'm sure the judges have that same expectation. Also as a spectator I have at times thought the color of the leo gives some girls a little edge. I'm talking more upper levels. I had a friend whose DD moved to one of those kind of gyms and even she felt like her DD was given the benefit of the doubt at times.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back