Parents Question about moving up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I usually do okay with my reading comprehension and don't feel like I "missed" anything. I'm not making any kind of judgment on whether or not the OP's child should move up or not. I've never seen the kid stretch a single muscle! My responses were in regards to my opinion about using a specific number to determine whether a kid should move up or not without looking at other aspects of the gymnast.

And my responses were based on a score of 35, not 33. I think getting an average score of 8.75 on 4 events is enough to warrant serious consideration of moving up depending on a child's goals, personalities, strengths, and weaknesses. An 8.25 average....yes, maybe the child should repeat again, depending on taking into account the whole child.
=====
So you are responding to the original poster, but not really.......

=====
So you are responding to the original poster, but not really.......

My first post was directed to the OP. My second post built on wallflower's and buffaloes' posts. My third post was in response to you assuming I didn't read the OP. And now this, my forth post, in an index of my posts in this thread.

Hope this helps and that we can now focus on the topic at hand.......

Sent from my LGL55C using ChalkBucket mobile app

How does you daughter feel about her scores? Was she upset with her score itself or because her score was not enough to move up to the next level?

DDs coach and I considered moving her to LVL 5 this year but decided against it for a few reasons. Looking back it was the right choice. She scored a 34 something at her first invitational. At each subsequent meet her scores increased ending with a 37.025 this past meet. Her confidence has soared and she has really enjoyed the meet season. She has all the LVL 5 skills and had she advanced to LVL 5 I think she would have done ok, but it is doubtful that she would have placed at all. Since this is her first season competing, I am not sure she would have continued with the sport had she not made it to the podium a few times.

I like that our gym competes the girls at where they will succeed. If your daughter feels she is happy with her scores, than maybe pursuing a different gym would be the choice. If she is disappointed with the scores then why not give her another year to experience success?

My first post was directed to the OP. My second post built on wallflower's and buffaloes' posts. My third post was in response to you assuming I didn't read the OP. And now this, my forth post, in an index of my posts in this thread.

Hope this helps and that we can now focus on the topic at hand.......

Sent from my LGL55C using ChalkBucket mobile app
---

Got it, so your first post that started out with,
"I could not send my child to a gym that has rigid scores for move ups." and " We have a gym in our state that I would never consider sending my child to because they require every gymnast to repeat both L5 and L6. No exceptions!"
(suggesting that the OP is at a gym that you would never take your kid to, is,,, well,,, kind of like giving advice, but what do I know!) LOL
And my reply to your FIRST post was, the child is getting 33's and coming home bawling, so probably telling the OP that he is at a gym that you would NEVER take your kid to, because of this rule, is bad advice no? oh thats right, it was just an "opinion".....

Well this is an interesting thread....because with these rules, my daughter never would have gotten out of Level 4! As I've said before, she was an awful compulsory, with her MAX score in levels 4/5/6 of 32.4 and she went on to do seven years of level 10 , a stint in elite , and now competes D1 on a full gymnastics scholarship....so don't think that her compulsory career will define her...

---

Got it, so your first post that started out with,
"I could not send my child to a gym that has rigid scores for move ups." and " We have a gym in our state that I would never consider sending my child to because they require every gymnast to repeat both L5 and L6. No exceptions!"
(suggesting that the OP is at a gym that you would never take your kid to, is,,, well,,, kind of like giving advice, but what do I know!) LOL
And my reply to your FIRST post was, the child is getting 33's and coming home bawling, so probably telling the OP that he is at a gym that you would NEVER take your kid to, because of this rule, is bad advice no? oh thats right, it was just an "opinion".....

I'm not sure what exactly your point is and why my posts alone seem to have put a bee in your bonnet. However, I think it would be prudent if you give your advice to the OP and stop worrying about how someone else should take my advice or opinion. You do seem very obsessed with my words and if you need further clarification, it would probably be best to take the explanations to PMs rather than take this thread off topic. Have a nice day.

My daughter has been fortunate enough to have never been at a gym with a rigid score requirement, because if she had she would still be in compulsories as opposed to training for level 9.

Some kids just aren't compulsory gymnasts, mine included. Her flexibility issues killed her scores in compulsories. In optionals however she can show off her power and her swing.

As for the idea that you can't do well at the next level if you didn't score well at the previous level... Well if that's true my daughter is imaginary. She averaged 33's at L4, 34's at L5, 35's at L6, one L7 meet (high 36-first ever) and mid 36 at L8 scoring her first 37.

I would hate to think she would have been stuck in compulsories because it took her longer to learn to compete, even though she had no problem picking up skills.

My dd would probably never been invited to the team that had those standards. We were excited that at her last meet she scored over a 34. She is a 2nd year L5. She loves gymnastics and loves trying for new skills. She does have trouble with the dance skills. Her coach has said she will do well in optionals but who knows. Her gym does not produce elite gymnast and we dont have a girl on the podium at every meet.

What i am getting at is that you need to look at what your dd is wanting to accomplish. Is she wanting to do elite and maybe go to a d1 school. If so, i would stay where you are. If she is in for the fun of it maybe you should look some place. We have no illusions that she is ever going to be an elite but she is happy.
Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Ohhh such a hard decision. I hate the move up score requirement because every kid is so different. My DD struggled very badly with the L5 vault...never made it out of the 7's until her last meet of the season as a L5. However she was strong (high 8 to low 9's) on the other 3 events. Our gym at the time also had a set move up score which was a 36. Her best meet as a L5 was a 35.1. If she would have stayed at that gym she would have repeated...even though her main issue was the vault, which would have been the same in L6. Anyway...we left that gym (not for that reason) and she did a year of Xcel...did very well and then went to L6 this year where she struggled. Meanwhile her former teammates who repeated L5 had really good 2nd year L5 seasons and then had really good L6 seasons. I think the 2nd year in L5 would have been good for my DD skill wise and strength wise, but I'll never really know.

Anyway...I have to think that the most important thing with L5 is bars. Your DD needs to be fairly good at bars (mid/high 8's and above, clean kips, good tap swings, connected skills, etc.) If she is not then you could really be setting her up for failure at L6. L6 bars are TOUGH (although the new L5 may be a little easier). My DD was in the 9's on bars in L5 and only managed two 8's all year in L6.

I would not move gyms because of a move up score requirement. That would be a mistake. If there are other issues going on, then that's certainly a reason to consider a move. But if she is happy and you trust the coaches, etc., I'd have to say "stay put" and trust the plan for your DD.

Ohhh such a hard decision. I hate the move up score requirement because every kid is so different. My DD struggled very badly with the L5 vault...never made it out of the 7's until her last meet of the season as a L5. However she was strong (high 8 to low 9's) on the other 3 events. Our gym at the time also had a set move up score which was a 36. Her best meet as a L5 was a 35.1. If she would have stayed at that gym she would have repeated...even though her main issue was the vault, which would have been the same in L6. Anyway...we left that gym (not for that reason) and she did a year of Xcel...did very well and then went to L6 this year where she struggled. Meanwhile her former teammates who repeated L5 had really good 2nd year L5 seasons and then had really good L6 seasons. I think the 2nd year in L5 would have been good for my DD skill wise and strength wise, but I'll never really know.

Anyway...I have to think that the most important thing with L5 is bars. Your DD needs to be fairly good at bars (mid/high 8's and above, clean kips, good tap swings, connected skills, etc.) If she is not then you could really be setting her up for failure at L6. L6 bars are TOUGH (although the new L5 may be a little easier). My DD was in the 9's on bars in L5 and only managed two 8's all year in L6.

I would not move gyms because of a move up score requirement. That would be a mistake. If there are other issues going on, then that's certainly a reason to consider a move. But if she is happy and you trust the coaches, etc., I'd have to say "stay put" and trust the plan for your DD.
==
Well said, from beginning to end.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back