WAG Question re: Old L6 vs new L6, and L7

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ali'sMom

Proud Parent
From what I know, the old compulsory levels were 2-6. I know they changed them up last year and are now 1-5. Still 5 levels of compulsory, skills relatively the same, all that changed were the numbers.

That part, I've got.

Am I right that they didn't make any changes to skills for optionals, L7-10?

If that's the case, now that new L6 is an optional level, where does that stand? I mean, in the past, L7 was the first optional level, with certain skills. If they didn't change that skillset, then what is L6? Now the first level of optionals, but with a lower skillset?

We are still a good time away from even thinking about optionals, but I just came up with this today, and it's one of the those things that makes you go "HMMM?"

Thanks for anyone who can educate me!

New L6 was intended as a "bridge" between old L6 and old L7. It offers an easier entry into optionals, essentially.

Some gyms don't compete L6 and some don't compete L5. Some believe that L6 is "easier" than L5, because compulsory judging, especially at the last compulsory level, can be tough, and L6 offers kids more options as far as skills.

At my daughters gym after old level six they typically split the season and went into level seven in the spring. Gymnasts who were not ready for this transition competed Excel instead for spring instead. Now with the new levels last year my daughter split her season competing compulsory five in the fall then optional six in the spring. It was much more enjoyable for her to do six. Her scores were much better, but the competition was stiff! She was able to add harder skills as the season went on- split leap became switch leap and front tuck was connected to front HS. I love new level 6. I think its great that girls who are ready can still go directly to

It appears that most gyms in our area are doing either new 5 or new 6, not both. Some are skipping 6 entirely, which isn't a required level. Others are testing out of 5 at one meet, and those that test out compete 6 those that aren't ready stay competing at 4.

They did make a few adjustments to level 8 as well. You are now allowed 1 C skill on each event. On bars you can have an extra C if you do any of the various circling elements to handstand like the free hips. So you can now do a free hip to handstand which is a C AND one other C.

Around here l6 seems to be used for those that don't have giants or have the bare minimum for 7 while seven is used for those that have giants and want or have quite a few l8 skills that they can stArt to put in their l7 routines.

As htimcj said, our gym will use level 6 if a gymnast is lacking in certain skills, especially bars.

We did L5 last season. We had no L5's the previous season so we have no idea what the plan is for the fall! All the girls are training L7, so I'm not sure what the dividing factor will be (bars I'm assuming.) Optional land is a whole mystery to me :confused:

Last year they moved all the L5's to L6 by the end of the season. This year it looks like they're going to change it up a little. They have a group they plan on competing 5 all year and a group they plan on competing 6 & if ready moving to 7. I think....it's not been formally said, but as parents we see things leading that way.

This year DD new gym is scoring out of L5, moving everyone to L6 if able. It happens to be a group of older (11-15) girls, with the exception of 1 or 2, so that is part of the decision. I do know that her old gym did L5 instead of L6 and the competition at L5 was significantly less than in past - still a hard scoring level, but with fewer girls doing it, they had lots of success -which for some girls is important prior to entering optionals to build confidence.

DD's gym is doing 5 and skipping 6. No giants = stay at 5. Giants = L7. This is consistent with past practice; they had a big L6 team under the old level system and some girls repeated L6.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back