Roundoff On Beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm trying to work on a roundoff on beam. I am a righty and i know my right foot is supposed to land in front of my left on the beam. But for some reason.. I can only get my left on the beam. I'm not scared to put the other foot on, but it just wont go on. Any advice? Drills?

Do you have a good straight cartwheel on beam? It sounds like you could be going around the side. Practicing cartwheels that stand up quickly with your back leg right behind your front would help. If you get a good push off your hands, it shouldn't be too hard to get your right foot in front but I don't think it really matters which leg lands in front. HTH!

How are your hands on the beam? It's a lot easier to go straight on if you turn one hand along the length of the beam, instead of keeping both of them sideways. Good luck, wish I could help more!

hey guys...you're missing what she said. she stated that she is a righty which would mean a right round off. a right round off means the root skill is a right cartwheel. on both, the left foot should come down first and be in front. the right foot behind.

it's very difficult, or more difficult to do a switch foot placement on a round off. this doesn't mean it can't/hasn't been done. my educated guess is that you do a back walkover and flip flop landing with your right foot first. this means that your right side dominant. this conflicts with you attempting to place your right foot in front on a right cartwheel where your body wants the left to land first. the mechanics dictate that your left foot comes first on a right round off.

so, it depends what you're trying to accomplish. post that up and i'll try to help.:)

Thanks everyone! It just turned out I was trying to go around the beam like "gymnastgets10" said. I still haven't mastered it yet, but it's alot better.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back