Coaches Set for salto/layout

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

J

JenFen

Hey,

I have a gymnast that is a reasonably strong tumbler. Very fast twitch but struggles with the set out of flic flac for salto or layout.

Have tried many things but it is still not clicking. She comes out of flic with shoulders slightly in front of feet, but its like her shoulders travel backwards to early (a bit of head movement).

Some how need to help her get it to set properly, more for future that anything.

Tried tumbling up hill (salto, pikes and lays) onto 60cm mat. mini tramp work etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Jenna:)

See if telling her to stand up tall before the flips helps. I know there are a lot of statements that others may have to help.

I would spot the set with no flip (basically lifting her while she does the right upward stretched body action). You can have her do it from just a power hurdle first to control things a bit.

It sounds like a directional error, she is getting the hips open and reaching back (like what might be done for a whip back) rather than getting the hips open and reaching up.

Working on the flip standing may also help, you can also lift her like above and then she tuck in and flip into the pit. It'll go kind of over your shoulder if that makes sense. I do this on a block a bit above the pit because it allows them to feel a really big set and what dropping from a really high tuck feels like even if they aren't quite there yet. We do not have a tumbling foam pit or I would do this from a RO BHS with them. We have a resi but most of mine either have a decent set or wouldn't be ready imo to do this drill not into foam. So obviously use your judgement, because of the way you are lifting them it is hard to spot the landing, so it has to be somewhere they can land.

Also on trampoline, with the spotter jumping alongside and holding the upper arm, have them do the tuck. One hand of the spotter holds the upper arm to direct them up, the other hand assists them on the back in the rotation. Obviously when they are at the top of the flip you drop their arm and then can assist the landing. This mostly seems to keep kids from whipping, they may still throw the head out but they won't throw the whole upper body like a handspring.

Last edited:
One drill that I really like: stand about 1/3 of the way from the end of a panel mat (going longways), BHS (hands on end, feet on floor), punch with arms by ears back onto the panel mat-- really focus on the tight snap down out of the BHS into the punch.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back