Some interest in Judging

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've had some interest lately in getting into judging. Obviously, I know I would have a LOT to learn, but where would I go to find out more info on it or do you have to have a history of coaching to do it? If not, how do you get started?

The first place to start would be to buy USAG's book with the compulsory routines (available on the USAG website). After that, it's a matter of learning the routines, the general deductions, and the deductions on each skill. The compulsory test only covers L5/6, but you need to be comfortable with L4 and possibly L2/3 (depending on your state). It would be helpful to know the shorthand, but it's not necessary to pass the test. Once you have the deductions and routines under control, you should be okay to test. I'd also highly recommend practice judging (especially with a current judge, even if you have to go to another club-- most are pretty welcoming to new judges) before you're assigned to a meet.

Judges also have to have a professional USAG membership which would mean taking the USAG safety course and getting a background check done.

Ask your gym owner if they know some judges that might be open to you talking with them about all that is involved. I believe there is a website for NAWGJ that may have some basic info on learning to be a judge.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back