Straddle Cast to HS vs Cast to HS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vagymmomma

Proud Parent
My DD has started uptraining a number of skills for optionals and I'm learning that I have a lot to learn. She learned her straddle cast to HS about a month ago and she just got her cast to HS this week. Are these skills valued differently (A v. B) or used differently (is one a better transition to high bar or other skills)? Also, for the progession to giants (and other optional bars skills) should one be practiced more than the other? Finally I watch the older girls do giants and a number of them seem to be fairly arched. Is there a deduction for the arch or should it be a straighter body position except maybe on the down swing? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

hmmm, not sure about in america, but in canada a cast to handstand at national level is a B, and a straddle cast is an A, i do believe.

both are B's. A straddle cast is usually easier for most kids, and its usually easier to get it all the way to hs consistently (big deduction for not hitting hs in optionals). Yes, archy giants are a deduction in the JO system. I think young athetes should learn both, so your DD is on the right track.

both are B's. A straddle cast is usually easier for most kids, and its usually easier to get it all the way to hs consistently (big deduction for not hitting hs in optionals). Yes, archy giants are a deduction in the JO system. I think young athetes should learn both, so your DD is on the right track.

both are B in USAG

Like kflipz said a straddle cast is only an A in FIG everywhere else.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back