Anon Strength and skill correlation?

• Thread starter Anonymous (295c)
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (295c)

strength-vs-skill.jpg

What are everyone’s thoughts/experiences with how a young athlete’s strength and muscularity relates to their skill acquisition and success in the sport?
I’ve always just assumed that kids who are really strong are at an advantage in gymnastics and will likely be able to do well if they are dedicated and put in the work. Additionally her coach told me when she first made team that typically kids with her kind of muscularity will get the skills quickly as they progress. However, my DD(about to be 6) just had her first meet and it was eye opening. She is unbelievably naturally strong and muscular and has really good body tension but she scored fairly low (low 34s) and while she can do some really cool strength stuff (rope climbs in pike, ugly press hand stand from sitting, multiple strict pull ups, etc) her skills don’t seem to be coming particularly fast. (No back walk over or BHS- she even struggles with kickovers; doesn’t hold handstands for more than a second or two etc).
Is this just an age thing where she is still developing body awareness and things will start to click with time and experience or is strength not a good metric for predicting gymnastics success and I should not assume her muscularity will make her go far in the sport?
I figured being so young it’s just developmental but watching the 5-6 year olds at her meet appear to effortlessly perform these skills made me doubt it just being an age thing. Her gym is fairly low hours for their early levels and we were at a meet in an area where I believe they train much more rigorously but still.

I’m not too worried about it; she’s loving the sport and found competing very exciting (albeit extremely nerve wracking) so I’m just sitting back and letting her do her thing but just thought some insight would be interesting. Big muscles and power not an automatic ticket to Olympic glory?

Last edited by a moderator:
Big muscles and power not an automatic ticket to Olympic glory?

I mean, if that were the case, body builders, power lifters, you get it, would be on the podium. It takes much much more than just muscles to get to the Olympic level. Body awareness, grit, time, luck, coaches, are just some of the many factors.

Don't worry about your kiddo for now - leave coaching of skills to the coaches. Everyone develops skills at different times, everyone's journey is different.

Strength and flexibility are your gymnastics skill foundation. You also need motor skills and the ability to concentrate - difficult for 6 year olds.

The motor skills/coordination don't always develop predictably, but they'll come with time. It's great that your kid has those strength skills - definitely above average for her age.

Strength is definitely necessary and a huge advantage in this sport but doesn't, in isolation, predict success. Also need flexibility and coordination - those can take more time to develop. Especially the coordination and body awareness.

But the great thing is that the really strong kids are less prone to injury which is nice.

I have 2 girls in the sport. Older one has always been strong (played other sports before switching to gymnastics) which has correlated to great vault and bars - she was one of the first in her group to get the kip and she almost always wins any handstand contest. My younger one is very flexible and able to remember pointed toes, the position of her hands, body etc - I suspect she is going to excel at floor and beam.

I know the thread is regarding physical strength but as a parent I've seen mental strength as the bigger eliminator of gymnasts. So many gymnasts have the strength and flexibility to do a skill but mentally just won't pull the trigger or can't get past something and just no longer want to progress, especially in the cases where the gym is fast tracking or pulling big hours, gymnasts will hit that mental wall sooner and can't get past it where the gymnasts going at their own pace will keep on developing.

I know the thread is regarding physical strength but as a parent I've seen mental strength as the bigger eliminator of gymnasts. So many gymnasts have the strength and flexibility to do a skill but mentally just won't pull the trigger or can't get past something and just no longer want to progress, especially in the cases where the gym is fast tracking or pulling big hours, gymnasts will hit that mental wall sooner and can't get past it where the gymnasts going at their own pace will keep on developing.
Such an interesting perspective (op here). I think that I’m already seeing that it this level even. The drive, the mental discipline, the lack of fears, etc seem to be even more important than their physical abilities. That mental toughness is much harder to train

Strength and flexibility are your gymnastics skill foundation. You also need motor skills and the ability to concentrate - difficult for 6 year olds.

The motor skills/coordination don't always develop predictably, but they'll come with time. It's great that your kid has those strength skills - definitely above average for her age.
For sure! She is pretty focused and coordinated for her age but still…six is still so young and her teammates are all 2-5 years older and can definitely concentrate for longer than she can. It’ll be interesting to see how things go as she matures. Thanks for your insight

My biggest piece of advice to new parents would be not to worry too much about what your young gymnast can or can't do. Being the strongest, most fearless, most flexible is great when they are little, but so many variables come into play that I think it's nearly impossible to predict who will stay with and advance in the sport and who won't. I have seen so many super star little girls who won everything early on leave the sport by level 7 or 8- or even after 5, because of injuries, burnout, fears, or just an inability to get the higher level skills despite being amazing as a compulsory. I've seen kids who were middle or back of the pack early on make it to 9, 10, and onto college teams. With little ones, just enjoy the moments, the season they are in, and don't go trying to guess how far they will go in the sport.

Strength is just one variable in the mix of 'what makes a successful gymnast'. You also need flexibility, coordination, the ability to take and make corrections, patience and mental fortitude to deal with fears, injuries and setbacks (this last one often doesn't impact gymnasts until optionals). None of this takes into account the physical and social effects of puberty on a kid. A 'deficit' in any of these qualities means additional compensation in another which is why it's impossible to predict longevity in the sport.

I echo the advice of the previous poster just above me! Enjoy the ride!

Some skills require more strength, some require more body control and timing. You will see different kids excelling at different events and skills early on. Eventually, strength will become more important, and you will see kids with both start to pull ahead. I wouldn't worry too much about strength early on, as your kids will make tremendous gains in that area simply by working in the gym. Extra strength training will be more helpful when they get older, but I wouldn't push that too hard too early. Biggest thing to work on is the mental side of gymnastics. Encourage your child that consistency is key, and help them work on the mental toughness required for success. Other kids might get their skills first, and that can be disheartening. They have the choice to keep working or pout and complain-help them do the first!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back