Tips on Connecting?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

When doing a ROBH, I can connect really well, and I almost have it without a spot. But then... connecting forward skills seems to be a problem. The other day, I asked to try my front handspring-fly spring on tramp. (I have both on tramp and I have a FHS on floor, so they allowed me to try.) But even though I was on a bouncy trampoline, as soon as I landed my front handspring, I didn't know what to do next. I tried going forward but I didn't make it. My coaches knew I could do it, they kept encouraging me, but I was really just stuck. Do you have any tips for connecting things??

At least for me, a lot of the problem in front tumbling is head placement. When you're coming out of the FHS, you have to be looking at your hands. If you aren't, the flyspring just isn't going to work. At first it can be scary, because you don't know where you're going, but you have to believe in yourself and keep your head back. (don't close your eyes though, that never ends well. Trust me on this one) Don't forget to stay tight! Good luck, I'm sure you'll get it in no time :).

Okay, thanks! When I tried it, I was automatically looking down so that's probably what didn't let me go over. I'll try that next time. Thanks again!

As gymnastbeth said, you definitely should be looking up. It also helps if you land your front handspring with your shoulders over your toes in a hollow body shape. When I try to do a FHS - FT my shoulders are sometimes behind my feet which makes it very hard to connect a FT. Sorry if this is confusing but it is a little hard to explain without showing you the correct body positions. This is also something that once you get the right feeling after a couple of times it will be much easier.

Goold Luck and Don't Give Up!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back