Transition tumbling to Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

Mariainlv

A little background: My daughter was on a tumbling team for 1 year. She is 6. She decided she wants to try gymnastics.

My question: Should I start her in a recreational program? She has a ROBHSBHS, clean bridge walkover, handstand, so I am not sure what is appropriate?

Thanks in advance and what an awesome community!

My advice would be to take her to a couple of gyms to be evaluated. A good gym will know exactly what to do with her. They look for so much more than skills, their size, shape and attitude play big roles in where they are placed. It may even be suggested that she goes into a rec type class for a few weeks to evaluate her further. All of that would be normal and a a good thing for your child.

Ask questions, check out the cleanliness of the facility, the costs involved ('cos they can be high) commitment timewise. Class sizes can be inmportant if your child tends to wander off mentally.

I am sure the others will chime in soon, we have a wealth of information here. GLad to have you on the Chlakbucket, hope we can help.

Ty for the reply! J is super focused and very into gymnastics. I am just thinking there is a steep learning curve from one to the other. She is a compact (ok short :) ) 6

Time wise the tumbling team was 2 hours 2x a week so we are used to some level of time commitment, but no where near what I have been reading on here.

I called a local gym and the person answering the phone (owner?) has her coming by at 4 to evalute her. Thanks again!

My daughter did the same thing. She was in a competition cheerleading squad for 2 years so had all her tumbling skills, then switched over to artistic. There is a learning curve involved because the tumbling is different in subtle ways that will lose points in a competition at an AAU or USA meet.
But, it wasn't a horrible transition and we found a wonderful gym/coach to help with confidence on the bars, beam and vault. My daughter ended up placing 1st AA in her division at state her first year! So I would suggest looking at a couple of gyms to find the right one. Ask lots of questions and ask your J how she feels.....she is the one that has to feel comfortable. We recently moved and we were sad about leaving our gym. We looked at several before my daughter told me "this is the one I want to join"....and so far it's been great! I think she'll do just fine.

Ty

Cheryl, thx for the info! We went today, the gym was nice. J was evaluated and the lady suggested that J try their 'future stars" program for a week to see if she likes it. Its 3x a week for 3 hours, so 9 hours a week. She said this is their level 3 pre-team and that she thinks J will not have any problems. All this is foriegn to me so we will see.

Welcome to gymnastics and the beginning of your gym journey. Sounds like your little one is talented and that the gym you chose sees her potential. Hope she has a blast with it. Stick around we have lots of L3 parents around the Chalkbucket.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back