Vault setting question for coaches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Natasha

Proud Parent
Just curious, how do you decide what vault setting to use for your girls doing handspring vaults? (Level 5-7) Is there an advantage to vaulting on a higher setting?

We compete the girls on the setting that we feel they look the best on and will score the best on. That means we move the table up and down and I know some gyms/coaches don't/won't do that. To each their own. Our 5's are between 0-3 right now, 6's are 2-4, 7's are all on 4. We work them on different settings in the gym and adjust their competition as needed.

I like the put the table somewhere between the top of the abs and the shoulders. I hate seeing kids learning to vault with the table down by their waist. I think they have to relearn vault as they move up if they aren't used to the table being at a height needed for real vaults. Having said this, I think they way the lower level vaults are judged via the USAG doesn't make it seem like they actually want to see good front entry vaults. At a meet, do what looks the best. In practice do what gets the best block.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back