What would you do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a friend whose daughter takes a good 8 to 10 hours or more of privates each week. That's on top of the hours she's at the gym for practice already. She's a 9 year old level 6. I'm concerned that the child is going to get injured or burnt out but my friend (the dad) pretty much defers to mom and daughter on the subject and thinks that if child is the one asking for the privates that they are simply helping her thrive in the sport she loves. I know I should stay out of it but it just seems so crazy on so many levels to me (the family is not rich) and I think it feeds the child's anxiety rather than abates it. At one point in the past, he said he was going to ask the pediatrician about the body impact of all the hours but I don't think he ever did. Should I send him some threads from here or articles on the issue or just keep my mouth shut?

I would not say anything to him. Tell him that you found a great gymnastics website that has helped you navigate through the crazy gymnastics world a little better and he should check it out.

Other than that I wouldn't comment on anything unless directly asked.

But I do agree all those private lessons seem excessive. I wonder why the coaches even allow it?

because it makes them lots of money with no discernible results which makes them keep coming back!:)

But I do agree all those private lessons seem excessive. I wonder why the coaches even allow it?
Because they're getting paid cash and it makes the kid/parent happy. Depending on the parent, they may leave the gym altogether if you tell them to slow down. Then, you're out a lot of money! Sort of like the doctor with the hypochondriac patient.

How long can the family afford to continue doing privates at that rate? Especially for a level 6, what are they trying to accomplish? Too bad the family can't fastforward a few years and look back at the real value of all those privates while their DD was a level 6.

Hopefully there is a really good reason and goal for this and the coach/gym is not taking advantage of an eager mom and gymnast

I don't mean to sound harsh here but Honestly its not your business what this family does or doesnt do, what they can or can not afford.

Yes they are your friends but putting your nose in to their business when not invited to do so just isn't the thing to do. She is their child and they will decide what is good or not good for their child. They obviously don't aggree with your assessment or they wouldn't continue to do what they are doing.

I see it in the same catagory of when friends who aren't in gymnastics question why I allow my daughter to continue to put in 20 hours a week into practicing gymnastic and think I'm crazy to allow it.

Dont' create drama and let this family make their own decisions as to what is or isn't right for their family, their daughter and their finances. Stop and think if you thought your decision for your Daughters gymnastics was correct would you really want someone to come to you and say basicly hey I don't agree with how you are making choices for your daughter and you need to rethink what you are doing because I know better than you do what is best for your daughter, your family, and your finances. (that is basicly what you are saying)

Everyone really needs to just worry about their own gymansts and how they are progressing (or not) and unless asked don't worry about the decisions the other parents are making for their gymnasts

Thanks GymBee, I think you're right. I normally wouldn't even think about saying anything, but dad is a close friend of mine and tends to take a backseat on these kinds of decisions. I know he would feel horribly if daughter ended up with chronic injuries because of over-use. But, in the end, I think you are still right and I'm going to keep my mouth shut.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back