WAG Will I ever understand deductions and scoring?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

One thing we are told s gymnast is that it's hard to control your score, judges are so different, one meet and 9.7 will win the next an 8.9 will. That's why we aren't allowed to make score goals.

The scoring is crazy making. My dad has never fallen off the beam (knock on wood), but she always scores lowest on that event. She gets tenthed to death. And then someone will fall off and get a higher score! Also, her vault scores have been crazy. Anything from 8.6 to 9.3, and all of the vaults have looked exactly the same to me. She's level 2.

To the AAU vs usag question, I'm assuming by your name you are in GA. A lot of gyms in GA do AAU through level 3 then swap at level 4 to USAG. AAU routines are slightly to significantly different from USAG routines. The music is the same and floor routibes are very similar. But bars is very different. Big don't know level 1; but level 3 they are totally different and I think a bit different at level 2 as I think that AAU doesn't do a mill circle. So looking at the USAG rules might not be much help for the specific routines, though I imagine that the deductions are pretty similar for stuff like flexed feet.

Vault! Vault scores can seem so random sometimes! I'm starting to get a better feel for vault deductions, and have gotten better at seeing the subtle differences ... But sometimes it feels like a roll of the dice. ;-) Clearly, I'm still learning!
Totally agree! DD is doing FHS and won vault her first two meets, then got second but yesterday got SEVENTH! And I thought it looked really good...Clearly my untrained eye was wrong! Good luck to OP, it's been a great journey for us so far, and hopefully will be for you as well! :)

To the AAU vs usag question, I'm assuming by your name you are in GA. A lot of gyms in GA do AAU through level 3 then swap at level 4 to USAG. AAU routines are slightly to significantly different from USAG routines. The music is the same and floor routibes are very similar. But bars is very different. Big don't know level 1; but level 3 they are totally different and I think a bit different at level 2 as I think that AAU doesn't do a mill circle. So looking at the USAG rules might not be much help for the specific routines, though I imagine that the deductions are pretty similar for stuff like flexed feet.
Ok gotcha. Dear God yes the music is the same and I hear it in my sleep!!!

Reactions: sce
Totally agree! DD is doing FHS and won vault her first two meets, then got second but yesterday got SEVENTH! And I thought it looked really good...Clearly my untrained eye was wrong! Good luck to OP, it's been a great journey for us so far, and hopefully will be for you as well! :)
Thanks! So far we love it! Just trying to avoid the crazy gym moms!!

We had a judge come in recently to give a general overview of what they are looking for and the deductions.

Can I just say I have a amazing level of respect for the amount of info the judges have to remember and how they have to instantly recall all requirements? I was amazed when she broke down a 'simple' handspring vault. Did you know that there are three phases to the flight of a handspring vault and in that one second the kid is going over the table they have to assess deductions for all three phases plus the take off and landing? I doubt I will ever understand all the deductions but I will trust the judges to do their job and DDs coaches to advocate for her if needed.

I know I shouldn't focus on scores however, it baffles the heck out of me. This is DDs first competitive season on level 1 so I really need to chill, I know. But after today's meet I'm so lost. She did great. Her beam was beautiful and she got a 9.30. The girl after her wobbled and almost fell off but saved it and finished. She got a 9.350. What am I missing? And DD wants to know why her floor score was so low, 9.100, but I told her she needs to ask the coach. So many routines (her and other girls) look amazing to me but yet the scores are low. And then I notice some routines with little mess ups and the scores are high. Not sure I'll ever understand.

hell, i still don't. over 50 years in gymnastics and the only time i know what they're doing is when i DON"T attend a meet. :)

One thing we are told s gymnast is that it's hard to control your score, judges are so different, one meet and 9.7 will win the next an 8.9 will. That's why we aren't allowed to make score goals.

that's right! otherwise you ALL would be bald from pulling your hair out. :)

We had a judge come in recently to give a general overview of what they are looking for and the deductions.

Can I just say I have a amazing level of respect for the amount of info the judges have to remember and how they have to instantly recall all requirements? I was amazed when she broke down a 'simple' handspring vault. Did you know that there are three phases to the flight of a handspring vault and in that one second the kid is going over the table they have to assess deductions for all three phases plus the take off and landing? I doubt I will ever understand all the deductions but I will trust the judges to do their job and DDs coaches to advocate for her if needed.

that trust is a slippery slope...lol

Be careful what you wish for... I'm no where near a qualified judge, but I rarely get completely confused when I see a score compared to other routines on that same day. I understand some of the deductions now, and I SEE them as dd performs. Part of me wishes I could could go back to just enjoying the routine oblivious to the mistakes. :) Don't get me wrong, I STILL think she is amazing, and tell her everything she does is amazing to me. But part of my personal joy was stolen when I became aware of those stubborn errors that she continues to work on (legs separating in back tuck, leg bent on BHS on beam, elbows bent on kip, etc.) She's at a great gym and she is getting the corrections she needs, the rest is up to her and time.

Judging is something I would never want to do. I have judged diving in the past, but now I am sure it would be too stressful.

Funny story from D's last meet. He got done with his pommel routine. He typically scores 11.4-11.8 on this routine. He had no falls, no bobbles, etc. Probably not his best, but still decent. Score flashes an 8.4. We were stunned. Figured he had done something incorrectly, or left out an element, even though it looked like all the other ones he does.
After his routine, the judge was talking to the boys, and he told D that he had to deduct because D didn't do any back loops (d is a level 8). D just shrugged and said ok. "next meet, I hope to have my wu in my routine." Judge told him that he couldn't do a wu at level 7. D looked at him and said.....I am a level 8!! Score was adjusted to 11.1 :)

At DS's last meet, when his rings score went up, his coach got boiling mad and challenged it. Turns out the judge deducted the kid for errors in his bonus press HS but forgot to credit the bonus. Though at least he had him competing the right level . . .

So some CGMs were talking at the gym yesterday and normally I am able to avoid conversations like the plague (yes I have to stay at practice because it's too far to go home and come back and shopping isn't an option because my $$ is in the gym). They happened to be talking about the scores from Saturday's meet. I was pleased but they were not at all and just raising holy heck. I caught myself saying "well on ChalkBucket they say...." And I repeated some great advice I got from this thread. They gave me the evil eye and moved along. Oh well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back