Young Judges?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi I'm 15 and I'm really interested in judging gymnastics, but I know I'm obviously too young to be an official judge. Does anyone know about any sort of program where they let kids my age actually judge at a gymnastics meet? After training how to of course. Thanks!

It is my understanding that you only need to be 16 to be a judge for USGA sanctioned meets. I suggest looking at their website and getting in touch with your state rep by looking at their website for the contact info. Good luck!

In Australia i think the age limit for a judge is 14 or 16. Either way we end up with a lot of young judges at our competitions. This is a good thing though because we also have a lack of experienced judges so them starting you is a good thing. At our competitions each club has to supply judges. If the system is similar in America you should let your club know you want to judge and they may have all the information for you already.

If you are in the United States, you can test to judge compulsory and level 7/8 at 16. I suggest you start studying now for your birthday. :)

Haha I almost forgot about this thread!!!!!!

Well anyway there is no way in a million years that I would actually have time to be an official judge, judging constantly, and I'm not even a gymnast anymore so I can't like contact my club or anything to talk about it, I really am just interested in getting to judge a few competitions......suggestions?

Why can't you contact your old club? I'd pop in or give them a ring, they'll know how to get qualified (or any club for that matter).

In the UK when a club competes they must supply a judge, or pay £50. Works out well for competition organisers, but also means clubs are always keen for people to do the judging courses so they have people to volunteer for them. SO you do your judging course (sometimes the club will pay for it on condition you volunteer for x amount of competitions after), then they just give you a call when they need a judge.

Haha I almost forgot about this thread!!!!!!

Well anyway there is no way in a million years that I would actually have time to be an official judge, judging constantly, and I'm not even a gymnast anymore so I can't like contact my club or anything to talk about it, I really am just interested in getting to judge a few competitions......suggestions?

Contact your state USAG association. I'm sure they could put you in touch with someone who would answer questions and help you get started. My understanding is the tests are very technical and not easy, so it would take awhile to be ready to take any of the level tests.
Even if you're not available to judge every weekend, I'll bet they could still use you.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back